Search the forum,

Discuss Roof terrace in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Branleur

I have a 50m2 roof terrasse. The grout has become permeable and rainwater is leaking into the cellar below (this is because the original builder "forgot" to put any sealant on top of the concrete base??).
I can't remove all the tiles and start from scratch, so I simply need to renew the grout. Is it favourite to remove ALL the old grout? What is the best way of doing this? What is the most effective water resistant grout on the market? Thankyou.

J

jay

Re: Roof terrasse

im afraid the best fix is to remove the lot and start again hope this helps

B

Branleur

thanks but afraid this is not possible; 50m2 is a a big area and the thickness of the cement between tile and terrasse floor is almost 15cm.
However, if you fancy quoting for the job I can send you a photo?

J

jay

dont think you would like my quote as traveling would cost a bit

you can advertise your job on here and someone more local can quote it if you like

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jay

Could he tank existing and tile over?

thats not a good move as it will creat more issues and finding a waterproof membrane that will garantee over tiles will be hard you may have weight probs

job realy needs to be viewed but the only grout that is waterproof would be epoxy but the job needs to be seen by a qualified tiler to make the call on weather it can be done and i recomend epoxy be installed by a tradie hope this helps

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score

if the substrate has been soaked and all the grout is cracking and letting in water to the point its coming through to the cellar below re grouting will not solve this issue i would say it needs to come up you may also have to sort the substrate again

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Grout isn't waterproof. Water will just soak through it. So your problem isn't the tiles, or the grout, it's the substrate behind all that.

You really do need to pull the lot up, then waterproof the substrate, then re-tile if you want to just from an aesthetics point of view if it you want to see tile there.

Re-grouting would just be a waste of time and money. I don't think you'd get any professional tiler suggesting you should re-grout to solve the problem.

D

DHTiling

If the tiles are well and truly solid then you can waterproof the surface and re-tile... my recommendation would a Tanking membrane like Ditra.

But you will also need to prevent any water ingress at the sides/edges as well..

This is hard to say without actually seeing the lay out etc at face value..

where abouts are you..?

Reply to Roof terrace in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen