Currently reading:
Roof terrace

Search the forum,

Discuss Roof terrace in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Branleur

I have a 50m2 roof terrasse. The grout has become permeable and rainwater is leaking into the cellar below (this is because the original builder "forgot" to put any sealant on top of the concrete base??).
I can't remove all the tiles and start from scratch, so I simply need to renew the grout. Is it favourite to remove ALL the old grout? What is the best way of doing this? What is the most effective water resistant grout on the market? Thankyou.

J

jay

Re: Roof terrasse

Could he tank existing and tile over?

thats not a good move as it will creat more issues and finding a waterproof membrane that will garantee over tiles will be hard you may have weight probs

job realy needs to be viewed but the only grout that is waterproof would be epoxy but the job needs to be seen by a qualified tiler to make the call on weather it can be done and i recomend epoxy be installed by a tradie hope this helps

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Re: Roof terrasse

Grout isn't waterproof. Water will just soak through it. So your problem isn't the tiles, or the grout, it's the substrate behind all that.

You really do need to pull the lot up, then waterproof the substrate, then re-tile if you want to just from an aesthetics point of view if it you want to see tile there.

Re-grouting would just be a waste of time and money. I don't think you'd get any professional tiler suggesting you should re-grout to solve the problem.

B

Branleur

I'm very impressed & appreciative of all the advice. Thankyou. Removing 50m2 x 15cm. is a pretty hefty job & I would then have to purchase new tiles. The terrasse is integral to the house and extends from the living room. If there is any way I can resolve this other than a complete re-hash I would prefer to do so. If the seepage is not filtering through the grout then where is the water coming from? There are no holes in the tiles and there are 2 drains at the balcony/terrasse front which discharge most of the rainwater so it must be entering the grout & working its way down through the substrate to the concrete roof/floor of the cellar? We took out one complete line of tiles at the front and the substrate was very wet.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi Branleur, I have just read through this thread. I would like to know what is the substrate?is it tiled directly onto concrete? I have done quite a lot of balconies, and agree with comments above. Tanking is advisable, better still a decoupling membrane. Balconies are subjected to the extremes of weather, intense heat / frost etc. Expansion, contraction is always a problem. I am concerned if this installation is leakiing, how much damage has been done to the adhesive. Prolonged water ingress will destroy most adhesives over time, leading to de-lamination eventually. I hope there is a easier fix for you, I can't think of one sorry:thumbsup:

Reply to Roof terrace in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.