Search the forum,

Discuss rapid set in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

davebates

i dont wanna name and shame i cant remember if i mentioned if it was tanked i remember saying that ive primed with sbr so tubbed gear would take forever to go off i used a jonsons kit to tank as long as i know rapid set and ceramics are compatable im happy

G

Gazzer

The thing is though Dave, is that I know that the boss would want to know if his staff are giving wrong or right info. We hear all too often about stores giving bad info but if you just post here and not inform the boss then nothing changes ?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Tell the boss and the plebb who's giving that information out what the crack is! Needs to stop this bad advice lark but I doubt it ever will.

T

tfs

What a plonker. Next time he tries to give you bad advice tell him to shut up and ask someone else to serve you.

It seems like pure arrogance to me not just stupidity. I think this guys has some how managed to get confused and he is probably new to this position.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
.........and he is probably new to this position.

If he can't do the position he shouldn't be holding the position.

Out of all the different aspects i do in my business, tiling is the one aspect people are willing to have a go at themselves. People don't seem to realise there's more to it then spreading some "muck" and sticking a tile to it.

The one thing that sets this forum apart from others i have seen is the members knowledge and willingness to share that knowledge to ensure the trade is exercised correctly. If we all want to change this situation of cowboys, bad advice, and inproper workmanship then the actions we're all doing here need to spread beyond the forum.
Have a word with his boss, don't be rude, make a joke of it even but get the point accross as to why it's ill-advice. I'm sure he/she wouldn't want customers returning saying "your bloke told me to do this and now look!"

I always listen out when i'm in suppliers, even B and Q on my day off with the misses actually. If i over hear a conversation i can help on i pipe up. The employee will start looking up to you as a man in the know, and the "customer" becomes a potential customer to you once you hand them your business card ;)

Last edited:
T

tfs

If he can't do the position he shouldn't be holding the position.

I agree, or at the very least they should not be giving out advice untill they have been in the job long enough to actualy know anything about products let alone tiling.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Not to be stereotypical but shop floor sales assitants are usually school leavers with little or no product experience. They're the ideal person to get in with. Teach them a bit, take them under their wing and they grow in confidence. Build their confidence and i can guarantee once they've sold there next batch of tiles to a retail customer and is asked if they know a good fitter? You'll be the first name off their toungue.

No pun intended but no better advert than word of mouth by the guy or girl that's just sold them what they want you to fit.

P

Peter

Quite amusing 'advice' he gave you. :mad2:

Although for what it's worth, you're better with a slow set for walls rather than a rapidset in the majority of cases. Rapid set was never designed to give a 'hang' on wall tiles the way a slow set OPF type will. Also, if you're using grey rapidset then your heart will be broken with white grout.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If he can't do the position he shouldn't be holding the position. QUOTE]

Hmmm... We were all new and green Once. Maybe he is repeating advice given to him. Why not tell him nicely that he is incorrect and put him right so that he can go forward in is position as a better informed and ultimately more productive individual....... If he can accept criticism and correction from one clearly more knowledgable his boss never need know.

If not tell his boss and get the complete numpty sacked........

Reply to rapid set in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen