Search the forum,

Discuss rapid set in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

Woody123

Is normal setting addy (cement based) just as effective as rapid set for building up walls? Obviously rapid set will set quicker but is the other stuff any good? Im on a job at the min and most of my time seems to be mixing, clean buckets, scrape out some old rpid set that has went off, mixing and cleaning again and again! I have worked flat out all weekend and have only got 2 walls of the bathroom done up to the border. Now im worried about the border too cos i got out all the strips and put them on only to find a leaflet in the last box that say they need sealing! ahhhh! Am i ok to just seal them before i grout? this is the type of border it says ceramic on b&q website but i think they are marble and glass. It says in box to use HG sealer?Link removed

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

Is normal setting addy (cement based) just as effective as rapid set for building up walls? Obviously rapid set will set quicker but is the other stuff any good? Im on a job at the min and most of my time seems to be mixing, clean buckets, scrape out some old rpid set that has went off, mixing and cleaning again and again! I have worked flat out all weekend and have only got 2 walls of the bathroom done up to the border. Now im worried about the border too cos i got out all the strips and put them on only to find a leaflet in the last box that say they need sealing! ahhhh! Am i ok to just seal them before i grout? this is the type of border it says ceramic on b&q website but i think they are marble and glass. It says in box to use HG sealer?http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/skins/popups/scene7.jsp?skuId=9287247
Yes it is but you will need to wait a long time between coats. Can take 16hrs to set properly

W

Woody123

Grumps i was just meaning for back buttering the tiles not for skimming mate. Sorry for the confusion.:thumbsup:

G

grumpygrouter

Grumps i was just meaning for back buttering the tiles not for skimming mate. Sorry for the confusion.:thumbsup:
Ah, different thing all to gether then. Standard set usually takes about 16 hrs to set and gives a lot longer in the bucket. Why are you back buttering?

W

Woody123

The walls are well out. i know now i should have really re-boarded or used rapid to skim (i have done with 2 of the walls but im a bit worried i will make the walls worse!) im not that confident of doing it at the min. got any good tips for skiming the wall? Ive got a 1.8m feather edge or is it ok to use a long spirit level? Also do you know if topps tiles does there own make of adhesive that isn't rapid set or any other reasonably priced adhesive thats not rapid? Sorry for al the questions!:thumbsup:

G

grumpygrouter

The walls are well out. i know now i should have really re-boarded or used rapid to skim (i have done with 2 of the walls but im a bit worried i will make the walls worse!) im not that confident of doing it at the min. got any good tips for skiming the wall? Ive got a 1.8m feather edge or is it ok to use a long spirit level? Also do you know if topps tiles does there own make of adhesive that isn't rapid set or any other reasonably priced adhesive thats not rapid? Sorry for al the questions!:thumbsup:
I have obtained a 1m piece of 25x25x3mm L section form B&Q which I use to skim walls with. I also have a plasters feather edge. Once you have trowelled the addy onto the wall, just run the straight edge or what every you are using over the top trying to use the high points as you "datum" if you like and smooth it off. Works quite well and makes tiling sooooo much easier when it is flat!

W

Woody123

I might have to invest in one of those as like you say it's way easier when its flat and so much quicker. Anyway cheers for the advice grumps. At least every time i do a job im adding to my knowledge on how to overcome problems all the time especially with the help of the forum!

Reply to rapid set in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen