Search the forum,

Discuss rapid set on hot day in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rossy

been tiling a floor today how hot is it today, rapid set going off in ten minutes, spent most of the day mixing could only do small amounts at a time anyone got any tips on what they do....

P

Perry

lot of em are having trouble with flash setting it shouldent go off that fast take it back ask for somthing that works as its says on the bag but not that rapid lol :pete

F

Fekin

I've had rapidset going off in 10 to 15 mins with the heat... just stick to standard addy while it's very warm.

G

GazTech

For an adhesive to “flash set” requires an increase in the exothermic reaction of the adhesive. This is normally caused by either singularly or a combination of:-
·The on-site temperatures being elevated (i.e. above 20 0C)
·The adhesive being mixed incorrectly (liquid added to the powder).
·The adhesive being mixed with a drill mixer at high speeds (above 300 RPM) thus introducing additional heat into the mixture.
·The amount of adhesive actually mixed

As a general note when using any rapid setting adhesives particularly when subjected to elevated site temperatures, the following general precautions are recommended.
1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Ensure that the adhesive is stored in cooler conditions before tiling commences.
2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]If a drill mixer is employed always mix on a ”slow speed” i.e. below 300rpm.
3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Mix smaller quantities.
These steps can all help to increase the working time of the rapid setting adhesives where temperatures on site are above 20°C.
When conditions become unbearable and Rapid set is unsuitable, then revert to a Single part or slow setting adhesive.....Gaz

G

Gazzer

I always run the tap fr a while before getting water, this will make sure i am mixing with cold water.
If working on site and the water is from a large container outside then i tend to collect buckets and store in a cool place over night. Thats if its warm weather of course :thumbsup:

As for mixing at 300rpm ? i wonder how many do that or just mix as fast as possible. ???

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
some manufacturers do fast sets which take longer to go off than rapids, mapeis keraquik has a longer open time... remember one time i mixed up some rapid then realised i had to nick away and get more tiles , so i stuck it in the blokes fridge that was empty, when i got back it had still bloody set...

Last edited:

Reply to rapid set on hot day in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen