Search the forum,

Discuss Quotes in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bunnycd

I just don't get it.

I have had 3 carpenters here already today who was not willing to quote without seeing the job. So an "open house" today.

Well it's 4 boxes in my kitchen because I need some kitchen flatpacks put together, the shop said will take someone 45 mins for each box so I have already said it should take them day and I want them to put up on the wall 3 already made up cabinets.

So, I have had 3 guys come here to look at 4 boxes but they did not even open them / look inside.

Quote 1: £1,454
Quote 2: £160
Quote 3: £545

I just think it is a waste of there time, plus what veration in price.

Does anyone know why they do this? surely they could have quoted roughly without staring at 4 boxes?

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Ian

Any decent tradesman/woman will always go and look at a job before pricing, you could live in an old cottage with walls that are all over the place which would require more work. I will never give a price over the phone, nor will most people on here.

S

Stewart

As above for me too. Also compare what they are actually going to do in their quote, as this may explain the differences.

B

bunnycd

Fair point about putting the cabinets as they don't know what walls they go on, but if he asked I would have said it is part of our new extention and the walls are fine.

Sorry a rant from me because it gets on my nerves...

I just think it is quite an old fashined approach to work and it is quite inconvenent and too dangerous to keep having tradesmen after tradesmen coming to my house to quote on constructing units that are in boxes (I have already had a con artist take money from me and never seen him again) plus I have a baby to look after.

I have decided to not recruit anyone unless they can provide a basic estimate over the phone now cause most of the time people try to rip me off because I am a women with a baby at home and they think I don't know the cost and time of doing work.

G

Gazzer

I have been bitten a few times by being pressured into quoting over the phone and most of the time when I do get asked its another tiler wanting to know my rates.

AS for your quotes they seem to vary a lot, did anyone give you a time scale for the work.

Reaction score
I'm with the 'need to see it before giving any prices' posse.

"its only a small bathroom, small ceramics & walls are fine etc" - but when you get there its wonky walls, large format stone or glass mosaics

I always try shoes on before i buy them, and clothes, test drive a car etc.
Its the same (but different) when it comes to looking at jobs as well

L

Lodger

I too like to look at a job before pricing it. I have herd it all with customers saying "it's a simple job" and it ends up being more involved then they imagined.

E

enduro

Had one last week..guy phoned said he had 15sqm basic tiles on a bathroom wall and wanted a price over the phone. Said i need to look so he kept saying give me a ball park figure...No i said i need to look, so he agreed, when i got there they were marble tiles, shower with a niche that needed 6 holes drilled for led lights loads of boxing in with wall mounted wc etc...loads of cutting.. all cutting outside and the ensuite was on the 2nd floor.

Reply to Quotes in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen