Search the forum,

Discuss Pva Versus Primers | Always Use A Primer When Tiling, And Not Pva in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

AllurePTS

Re: P.v.a. Versus Primers......

Hi Prestige ..it's a wall ....well, actually a full boxout for a wall hung toilet .....thinking about it now, I suspect there will be pva on the plaster walls too :mad2:

W

White Room

What sort of tiles are you putting on to the walls

A

AllurePTS

White ceramic, about A4 size (you can tell I'm a newbie huh !)

W

White Room

I would rough it up with some course decoraters paper, Don't know what addy your using, Powdered would be better though

A

AllurePTS

It's actually a job for a friend ... I'm sure its ready mixed he bought ! .....I'll rub it and scratch it up with a blade first then ...cheers

M

malcolml

topps adhesive known as toppfix is manufactured by palace chemicals and in the topps training which is done by bal there told they shouldn't reccomend a p v a as a primer BECAUSE IT ISN'T :ninja:

D

doug boardley

many thanks for posting this thread Dave it gave me the ammo to get site agent to switch to sbr. After years of badgering he remained in the"we've always used pva" mode of thinking but I was able to hit him with all the technical data as to why it was inadequate.Even offered to sit down at his desk and get forum up on his laptop to back myself up!! Oh, and he even agreed to switch to powder addy rather than the green star c**p he'd been wanting to use. Much appreciated mate.
Doug:thumbsup:

U

user123

Wow. Thanks, Dave.

I just finished a small mosaic on a round breadboard supplied by a customer to be made into a present and primed it with waterproof PVA (Evostick Evobond)), also using same as adhesive - now to be grouted. As yet it seems solid enough with the very small glass pieces, but probably won't risk it anymore...or is the waterproof PVA a different matter to the usual stuff? Hmmm...

Does anyone know if the American Weldbond is any better?

D

doug boardley

let Dave explain the "ettringite" stuff to you!! but don't plan on going to bed before the wee hours!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Reply to Pva Versus Primers | Always Use A Primer When Tiling, And Not Pva in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen