Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Pva Versus Primers | Always Use A Primer When Tiling, And Not Pva in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

doug boardley

Re: P.v.a. Versus Primers......

I've not used bal primer, but I'm always prepared to use an sbr dilution of 1:3, (sbr: water), I do keep bottles of ultra, flex prime and Primer G in my van for when I use said addy's:thumbsup:

C

Colour Republic

I've removed a laminate floor at my house as it was always spreading at a certain joint and im sick of "jump & sliding" it back together. Dont tell me you dont know the jump and slide "move" cos i know you do!!:thumbsup:

:lol::lol: I thought i had the copyright on that move!

D

DHTiling

here's a question for you all...

I've removed a laminate floor at my house as it was always spreading at a certain joint and im sick of "jump & sliding" it back together. Dont tell me you dont know the jump and slide "move" cos i know you do!!:thumbsup:

anyway, the reason it kept popping at that certain part was down to the gargantuan drop the bitchumen/ashphalt floor suffers at that point. I intended to self level and tile, but after ringing BAL technical this afternoon to find out the best primer (not PVA) to use on Bitchumen, only to be told they dont recommend doing anything with bitchumen other than removing it completely.

Removal is not an option as this was poured in and floated in when i bought the house (built circu 1927) to act as a damp proof barrier. Its not a thin layer originally used to fix vinyl tiles etc, im sure you will all know what i mean?

So whats my options here? I've been and bought BAL Bond but im at pains to just go ahead and use it without asking first. I intend to tile the floor in the end by the way.

PCI do a self adhesive bitumen faced membrane which is fleeced on the side you tile..perfect for sticking to bitchumen...:thumbsup:

R

Roscoepeko

Blimey, i am the untrained but have used PVA at home and wont use again - i do have a litre of tilers primer unopened which i thought was just rebranded pva !!

Now I have a garage floor to sort out it has never been treated painted sealed primed PVA'd ect. and went out and bought a big tub of pva to put on to "seal?" it whilst i decide weather to use an epoxy type paint or standard garage floor paint - one manufacturer of the epoxy says not to pva and now i can see why ! ....but would Palace tilers primer (the 1l unopened bottle) be a suitable product to put down as a temp fix and then paint at a later date?

Sorry if painting is offtopic on a tiling forum

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

Blimey, i am the untrained but have used PVA at home and wont use again - i do have a litre of tilers primer unopened which i thought was just rebranded pva !!

Now I have a garage floor to sort out it has never been treated painted sealed primed PVA'd ect. and went out and bought a big tub of pva to put on to "seal?" it whilst i decide weather to use an epoxy type paint or standard garage floor paint - one manufacturer of the epoxy says not to pva and now i can see why ! ....but would Palace tilers primer (the 1l unopened bottle) be a suitable product to put down as a temp fix and then paint at a later date?

Sorry if painting is offtopic on a tiling forum

Epoxy paint over PVA not really anything to do with the issues about PVA although your paint would still peel off. This is because epoxys depend on mechanical key and as such need to achieve a certain level of penetration into the substrate so that they can grab onto it. If you need to rpime the substrate you should use a penetrating epoxy primer. This will penetrate inot the surface and provide "grab" but as it has penetrated it will also have a contoured surface following the conours of the concrete thus providing a surface that the paint can mechanically bond to.

S

spooney55

Great advise to me as a newcomer to tiling.
much better to spend a few quid more doing the job right, than getting a bad name later, costing time and money putting it right.

N

negsy26

what about webber pr370 ? thats described as - a synthetic water based pva concentrate for sealing and primming building substrates. is it ok to use that prior to tiling then ? !! im confused !!! lol

N

nudge

My gosh - what an exhaustive read from start to finish! that was - :dizzy2:
i can hardly get anyone over here to even use a primer/sealer let alone discuss which type is best! - but it would seem to an outsider that there is a bit of confusion in terminology going on & some untrained adhesive reps & others might some times unwittingly profligate the problem.

I believe we should seal a substrate which is thirsty so that the adhesive cures proberly or we should prime a substrate that is suspect or hard to stick to and if neither of these is the case don't bother - the adhesive is tested without and is more than capable of bonding to most common surfaces.

Primer G diluted 4-1 for sealing
Primer S water resistant primer
Mapeprim 2 part water based epoxy for problems

p.s. sometimes it isn't a matter of can we bond to a particular substrate - but should we -i.e. bitumen - chip board etc. we stick to them but they don't stay stuck to themselves and delaminate.

C

christine

Hi,
So if you already have coated the rendering with PVA how do you get it off so you can apply primer? I never knew tiling was so complicated!
Thanks a lot Christine

W

White Room

What made you apply pva to render, did you thin it out or put it on neat

W

White Room

Quite thin so may have soaked in, could (in the shower area) apply hot water and using a scrubbing brush on the surface and clean water to remove any residue

C

christine

Quite thin so may have soaked in, could (in the shower area) apply hot water and using a scrubbing brush on the surface and clean water to remove any residue
do we then prime it when dry? Do we just prime the other walls on top of the unibond or will that then be a case of the adhesive just sticking to the primer which is sticking to the unibond! Never knew tiling was so complicated perhaps someone should introduce an "idiots guide" for people like me!

How do we prepare the plywood floor ? thanks a lot

W

White Room

Should have no need to prime render unless it may be dusty, leave the other walls as the unibond you put on was quite thin.
i take it that the ply is already down, normally the ply would be primed uderneath where it sit on the floor boards and edges to stop any moisture ingress, check the information on the adhesive bag wether it needs priming or not on the surface your going to tile

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Pva Versus Primers | Always Use A Primer When Tiling, And Not Pva in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks