Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Pva Versus Primers | Always Use A Primer When Tiling, And Not Pva in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

squarecut

Re: P.v.a. Versus Primers......

Just read through this whole thread, very interesting and informative.

Just wondering why it matters what you seal the back and edges of wbp ply with? Firstly, shouldnt wbp put up with small amount of moisture?

and if you want to seal it against moisture ingress could you not use some leftover old gloss or varnish? (I appreciate these would cost more if you were to buy especially) What is it that makes sbr or apd the best product for this when its not even coming into contact with addy?

D

DHTiling

Re: P.v.a. Versus Primers......

Varnish yes.. as it has been mentioned before but gloss paint.. i don't think so ..

D

digi

Hi,

I have some 'Cementone SBR' (as stocked by B&Q) left over from a garden repointing/ rendering project.

I now have a small tiling project underway and I have applied this as a primer to the wall 4:1 (water:sbr).

After reading through this thread, I'm now wondering if there are different types of SBR? and if I've used the correct type?

On the container it does say "It is a excellent all round primer and bonding agent." but nothing else on mix ratios for priming or for tiling applications.

It also says "refer to product data sheet full details on these and all other applications" but I'm not sure where to find this.

Thanks.

S

scottiecom

just read through this whole thread , so good tips but...........................

bal apd and bal sbr bond, whats the difference or can they both be used on ply?

also noticed a few comments about bal adhesives not needing primed,bal rapid flexi tells you to use sbr bond

also when you read some post it reads as if you prime the back and edge of the ply but not the face to be tiled ?

S

Scott

Thats right scottiecom just the back and edges. Although it depends on your adhesive manufacturer, some say prime the face and some dont. You need to read the instructions to make sure. :thumbsup:

H

Homza

Interesting thread. Questions about priming- In the UK do you prime every surface before you tile or only wood and plaster surfaces?
Over here the only time I prime a surface is before applying self leveling cement. Also if tiling over gypsum based self leveling (we call it gypcrete) installed by others.
Otherwise just use a latex modified mortar that is designed to bond to the particular substrate. We have ANSI 118.4 products that are latex modified for bonding to masonry surfaces and ANSI 118.11 for bonding to wood surfaces. They are adding ISO labels, Mapei has them already.
Most of the time I am setting over existing concrete. If it is a plywood floor we go with cement board/hardi/or Ditra over it.
For walls in showers I go with cement board but apply a surface applied liquid waterproof membrane. Usually the only time I am bonding to drywall(plasterboard) is for a kitchen backsplash.
Is the sealer to improve the bond, or to prevent the substrate from pulling the moisture out of the mortar too fast, or a combination of the two? Thanks.

R

rubi

Hi Guys now mabey at last the message about primers over pva might get through, Now all you tilers out tell the builder your working for to not do you the favour he thinks he is doing by putting PVA on the walls before you get there. Tell him whatever the substrate to LEAVE WELL ALONE:veryangry: and price accordingley for your own prep.

D

DHTiling

Interesting thread. Questions about priming- In the UK do you prime every surface before you tile or only wood and plaster surfaces?
Over here the only time I prime a surface is before applying self leveling cement. Also if tiling over gypsum based self leveling (we call it gypcrete) installed by others.
Otherwise just use a latex modified mortar that is designed to bond to the particular substrate. We have ANSI 118.4 products that are latex modified for bonding to masonry surfaces and ANSI 118.11 for bonding to wood surfaces. They are adding ISO labels, Mapei has them already.
Most of the time I am setting over existing concrete. If it is a plywood floor we go with cement board/hardi/or Ditra over it.
For walls in showers I go with cement board but apply a surface applied liquid waterproof membrane. Usually the only time I am bonding to drywall(plasterboard) is for a kitchen backsplash.
Is the sealer to improve the bond, or to prevent the substrate from pulling the moisture out of the mortar too fast, or a combination of the two? Thanks.

We also have Gypsum plster on the walls, so need priming if using thinset to prevent etterignite reaction.. and some times we have dusty screed floors , so a primer seals the surface to help create a bond as you say.. but not neat as this skins and will create a failure...

It can also reduce the moisture suction like you mentioned if a longer open time is required.

W

-Woody-

Great post. I've just purchased the Bal Primer for use on plasterboard and was wondering if I would have been better off with Bal Bond SBR?

Woody

Reply to Pva Versus Primers | Always Use A Primer When Tiling, And Not Pva in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks