Search the forum,

Discuss Pva Versus Primers | Always Use A Primer When Tiling, And Not Pva in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

squarecut

Re: P.v.a. Versus Primers......

Just read through this whole thread, very interesting and informative.

Just wondering why it matters what you seal the back and edges of wbp ply with? Firstly, shouldnt wbp put up with small amount of moisture?

and if you want to seal it against moisture ingress could you not use some leftover old gloss or varnish? (I appreciate these would cost more if you were to buy especially) What is it that makes sbr or apd the best product for this when its not even coming into contact with addy?

D

DHTiling

Re: P.v.a. Versus Primers......

Varnish yes.. as it has been mentioned before but gloss paint.. i don't think so ..

D

digi

Hi,

I have some 'Cementone SBR' (as stocked by B&Q) left over from a garden repointing/ rendering project.

I now have a small tiling project underway and I have applied this as a primer to the wall 4:1 (water:sbr).

After reading through this thread, I'm now wondering if there are different types of SBR? and if I've used the correct type?

On the container it does say "It is a excellent all round primer and bonding agent." but nothing else on mix ratios for priming or for tiling applications.

It also says "refer to product data sheet full details on these and all other applications" but I'm not sure where to find this.

Thanks.

S

scottiecom

just read through this whole thread , so good tips but...........................

bal apd and bal sbr bond, whats the difference or can they both be used on ply?

also noticed a few comments about bal adhesives not needing primed,bal rapid flexi tells you to use sbr bond

also when you read some post it reads as if you prime the back and edge of the ply but not the face to be tiled ?

Reply to Pva Versus Primers | Always Use A Primer When Tiling, And Not Pva in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen