Search the forum,

Discuss Problems with Underfloor Heating Cable in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Mark02

TF
Reaction score
I am having a problem with my underfloor heating cable in my bathroom. The cable was installed at about 5cm apart on top of a 6mm tile backer board. About 8-10 mill of SLC was then poured over the top before a 10mm slate tile floor was fitted over the top.

According to the thermastatic floor sensor it takes about 3 hours to reach about 25 degrees and 5 hours to reach 26 degrees. However when you touch the tiles they they do not feel hot. But as if the chill has been taken off them?.

Am I hoping for a bit much. Was at B&Q and felt there under floor heating set up. The tile was about 100 times warmer than I am achieving.

The bathroom is small at about 3 sqm. I have a 400 watt cable. This is wired to a breaker which then connects to a plug socket off the ring main.

Is this all normal?. I was thinking of pulling it all up fitting 30mm of tile backer board and a 500watt cable matt.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Mark

M

Mike

it doesnt sound like it's working properly, it sounds a bit extreme to rip it all up though. did an electrician fit it? is it new and has it worked before? have you tested the probe?

Mark02

TF
Reaction score
Yes was all fitted by an electritian and part p tested etc . Its our second bathroom so we havent been using it that much until quite recently and hadnt used the underfloor heating until this winter. I have tested the resistance of the heating cable and thats fine. Havent tested the probe, the manual states that you would get an error message on the thermostat if there was a problem with this?

I dont want to rip it up, but hate things that dont work as there supposed to. Keep thinking that there is not enough insulation and the heat is just going downwards?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
How long have you been running it for? Is this pretty much the first time you've turned it on?

I would guess that the 6mm insulation board would be fine to be honest. How big is the area, and how big was the mat? And what wattage per square meter is the cable that you chose?

Mark02

TF
Reaction score
It was installed in July 2011 and first started to use the UFH in November 2011. The total floor area is about 2.6 sq m. Have a 40m cable length only had to take out toilet so covers 95% of the floor. The cable is 400 watts.

Reply to Problems with Underfloor Heating Cable in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen