Search the forum,

Discuss Porclain Floor tiles cracking on corner cuts in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

I've recently had my kitchen floor tiled with 60x60 polished porclain floor tiles. After two weeks 2 tiles have cracked these are tiles that have been cut round external corners. Is this due to the way the tiles have been cut? the tiles are fixed to a solid concrete floor.
Also there seems to be a few tiles that when tapped sound hollow in places will this affect the tiles in the long term?

I

Ian

Can you provide any photo's please, and also do you know what adhesive and grout was used. If there is a hollow sound from some of the tiles, it sounds as though they have been dot and dabbed. The correct method would be a solid bed of adhesive. Do you have underfloor heating?

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rich

Yes... Cracking tiles is never good. Could you give a bit more info on the floor? How long was the concrete down for before being tiled? Do you know what adhesives the tiler used? Any under floor heting?

It sounds like the tiler has built the tiles up on adhesive and left voids under them, the tiles have then cracked at their weakest point. If the tiler has used 5 spot, Im afraid you can prob expect more broken tiles. :thumbsdown:

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
As Brian J says, it's sounds as if they have possibly ben dot and dabbed, if you register on the forum you'll get more of a response though, we're a friendly bunch.

D

doug boardley

sounds very much like dot and dabbing to me, especially as the checkout cuts have already cracked:thumbsdown:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hollow sound could be dot and dab but could also be delamination. If they have cracked at external or re-entrant corners this suggests restraint at the corner which suggests either thermal movement or shrinkage. I would lay odds that if you lift one of the cracked tiles you will find a crack in the substrate.

Reply to Porclain Floor tiles cracking on corner cuts in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen