Search the forum,

Discuss porcelain tile cement in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi,
I have just laid out a new terrace about 100sq mt in size and now need to tile it. I chose the tiles (pocelain) and bought some cement, the coverage per bag is stated at 5sq mt per bag. I am not getting anything like this,(probably because it is onto cement) and it costs £11 ber bag. I know Porcelain tiles need “special” cement but can anyone recommend a cheap alternative?

H

hillhead

Hi there, at that price per bag it is cheap sorry.
If you are getting nowhere near the stated 5m2 then your terrace must be in rough shape or bad levels on it?
Off levels?
Welcome along too.

D

DHTiling

Hello and welcome, who say's Porcelain needs special cement..?

Most tile adhesives now have an amount of Polymer incorporated within to help with the bond to porcelain tiles..

As for the coverage, what depth of trowel are you using and what size are the tiles.?

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
suprised at you saying that Dave about the adhesive, could you please tell us what make of adhesive you are meaning as i personaly would not take the risk of using ordinary adhesive with porcelain tiles, as for the £11 per bag 344349 is that for 20kg if so i want some,you should be getting 6 mts min i would say myself on a decent base

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
as aboce 11 pounds a bag is a good price

you must be out of level on the terrace,i would expect 4 metres out a bag of addy for a standard floor maybe 5

what type of adhesive are you using exactly?

D

DHTiling

suprised at you saying that Dave about the adhesive, could you please tell us what make of adhesive you are meaning as i personaly would not take the risk of using ordinary adhesive with porcelain tiles, as for the £11 per bag 344349 is that for 20kg if so i want some,you should be getting 6 mts min i would say myself on a decent base

Most adhesives have polymers in them... some manufacturers call it porcelbond. :) but it will say on the bag if suitable for porcelain.. if you are unsure then use a flexible one..

R

Rich

Are you spreading the adhesive with a notched trowel or using it as a cement and spotting the tiles?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

doug boardley

maybe with a 4mm square notched trowel, but not with a 20mm solid bed trowel and back skimming tiles.

well guy's thanks for all the advice, the cement I am using is purchased in Spain where I live (and thats €11 for 25k sack) made by Weber. From the advice you gave, I think I might try a trowel with larger notches, this may help.
The base is a bit rough as I planned to use the cement to level, something I have done successfully on another terrace, but I didn't realize the cost of "Porcelain" cement. Anyway older and wiser! Lastly as an amature I would like to thank you all for your help and advice

P

Perry

i know i have only laid 600 x600 of late with PTB but i am lucky to get 2mts to a bag on a good floor :yikes:

Reply to porcelain tile cement in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen