Search the forum,

Discuss Plaster coming off with tiles- Can I tile directly onto concrete wall? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Ciel

Hi,

I hope you can help me out please.

I've just made a start on my bathroom. I've stated to take the tiles off but the plaster underneath is just crumbling, revealing the concrete wall underneath.
I need to get this job done a quickly as possible as it's our only bathroom so don't really want to wait four week for plaster to dry (or pay for the plastering to be done). Can I tile directly onto the concrete wall?

Thank you very much for your help.

Caitlin.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Yes you can.

remove all tiles, adhesive and scrap away any loose plaster or unwanted material from the wall with a blade scrapper.

Prime wall with BAL primer SBR (Or an equivilent)

Allow to dry and tile as normal.

In your prep you must make sure any loose, displaced or broken plaster is removed to make the surface as flat as possible, and to ensure you are fixing your tiles to a good, flat, and solid surface.

D

Deleted member 9966

Ali, I'd also be suggesting taking the whole lot back to brick. We're reliant on Caitlin telling us what's under the plaster. It might be render. She might be referring to concrete, but she might actually mean concrete blocks.

Caitlin, are you definitely sure it's a concrete fabricated wall or are they concrete blocks arranged in a brick bond style? If you know the approximate age of your property, this may help us in deciding what your substrate is and then we can advise whether tiling to it is a good idea or not.

Reply to Plaster coming off with tiles- Can I tile directly onto concrete wall? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.