Discuss Plaster coming off with tiles- Can I tile directly onto concrete wall? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

Ciel

Hi,

I hope you can help me out please.

I've just made a start on my bathroom. I've stated to take the tiles off but the plaster underneath is just crumbling, revealing the concrete wall underneath.
I need to get this job done a quickly as possible as it's our only bathroom so don't really want to wait four week for plaster to dry (or pay for the plastering to be done). Can I tile directly onto the concrete wall?

Thank you very much for your help.

Caitlin.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Yes you can.

remove all tiles, adhesive and scrap away any loose plaster or unwanted material from the wall with a blade scrapper.

Prime wall with BAL primer SBR (Or an equivilent)

Allow to dry and tile as normal.

In your prep you must make sure any loose, displaced or broken plaster is removed to make the surface as flat as possible, and to ensure you are fixing your tiles to a good, flat, and solid surface.

S

Sanke

If you are tiling above a bath you need to consider how to seal around it. I would presume that the plaster & tiles came on top of the bath giving a good seal. If you have removed the tiles & plaster you need to ensure that your new tiles are well over the edge of your bath. Perhaps considering plasterboard or arid backer to get some depth but not slw down your progress

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
It's only a plaster skim over the render isn't it? Your not talking anymore then 2-3mm.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Get the lot off, and then fix plasterboard or tile backer board to the wall, then tile that. No waiting for anything then, and you get a flat wall to tile to.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
If it's a brick construction, render and then skimmed wall then just taking it back to the cement render will be ample IMO. Have a tap around the render and make sure none of it has blown.

Dan are you suggesting removing the render as well back to the brick?

D

Deleted member 9966

Ali, I'd also be suggesting taking the whole lot back to brick. We're reliant on Caitlin telling us what's under the plaster. It might be render. She might be referring to concrete, but she might actually mean concrete blocks.

Caitlin, are you definitely sure it's a concrete fabricated wall or are they concrete blocks arranged in a brick bond style? If you know the approximate age of your property, this may help us in deciding what your substrate is and then we can advise whether tiling to it is a good idea or not.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Agreed, i'm making a presumption that the concrete is a render skim over a general red building brick wall.

C

Ciel

Thanks everyone.

It does appear to be render with a thin layer of plaster over the top. I'm not sure what's underneath. It's quite an old block of flats and I was told that the ceiling was made from concrete when we had a leak from the flat upstairs.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Most purpose built flats/apartments will have a concrete floor on each level. Not as noisey as floorboards ;)

Last edited:

Reply to Plaster coming off with tiles- Can I tile directly onto concrete wall? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley