Search the forum,

Discuss Pinwheel / Hopscotch pattern, slippage problem in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

mattisf

Hi

I am trying to install these tiles on my bathroom floor. They are laid out in a pinwheel pattern. As you can see from the pictures, there are some "slippage", which ends up with double width grout lines at regular intervals.

The large tiles are 20cm x 20cm, and the small tiles are 10cm x 10cm. The grout lines are 8mm. The tiles up against the wall have all been shaved off 3cm, to make the entire pattern centered in the room.

Please, what am I doing wrong? I can't figure it out. Thank you for reading!

IMG_20140122_224948.jpg

IMG_20140122_225014.jpg

I

Ian

It's your cuts along the wall that are causing the problem, they are too big and pushing the pattern out from about 1/3 of the way down the wall. Take the cuts out and reset your pattern, then put the cuts back in last. All that's happened is you have a twist in the pattern, I'd say that wall perhaps runs out a bit that's what's forcing the pattern out.

Rosco100

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Looks to me that it might be the tile sizes (tolerance) ditch the spacers,measure a few tiles as they might be different sizes and if they are the spacers are the culprits

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

The 100mmx 100mm need 3mm trimming off two sides, I have always found this with some Opus patterns, just my take on it.

Q

Qwerty

Dry lay out a good metre & a half of the pattern butted up to each other (with no cut tiles) and any discrepancies should soon be evident.

O

Old Mod

The 100mmx 100mm need 3mm trimming off two sides, I have always found this with some Opus patterns, just my take on it.

Dry lay out a good metre & a half of the pattern butted up to each other (with no cut tiles) and any discrepancies should soon be evident.
I agree with both these guys above.
If your small tile is exactly half the size of the large one then it can't work.can it? If u Lay two large tiles down with whatever joint u like. Starting directly underneath then lay 4 small tiles down starting in exactly the same place and with exactly the same joint. Let's just say 2mm so on top row end to end it will measure 402mm then measure bottom row. It comes to 406 then to line it up again u've gotta create a bigger joint in top row. Which means every other row will have a larger joint. Which is exactly what u've got.
unless u compromise on the joint of smaller tile.
Thats how I it seems to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I never use spacers with this kind of pattern.....in fact I never use spacers on any floors.

but I would ditch the spacers and do it by eye..

M

mattisf

Hi all. Thanks for the feedback. I have halved the groutline width, and started in the middle of the room. I laid down one tile in the absolute center, then put down tiles in a "round-and-round" pattern. It looks like the problem went away, or maybe the grout width is just too thin to notice? Anyway, I am happy, and so is my SO.

Thanks a lot for the feedback!! IMG_20140123_193706.jpg

Reply to Pinwheel / Hopscotch pattern, slippage problem in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen