Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Overboarding floor panels? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

I

Ingram

So even taking up the chipboard. Re boarding with 18mm ply and tiling onto ply with BAL Silgle part fast flex is still not good enough? Needs 6mm Hardie??

T

Time's Ran Out

Take old tiles up, leave but clean the chipboard floor, prime and fix (adhesive under and mechanical fixings) 6mm Hardie backer boards across joints. Tape Hardie joints and your good to go.
The only issue would occur if chipboard underneath got wet!
Also you have to be sure that the chipboard is well fixed, and no deflection.

T

Time's Ran Out

Unless it's changed tj bal used to say this was OK for chipboard although I must say I wouldn't do it .

I think that's what was established in the thread then @Boxtiling seems to be going the direct flexible adhesive route!
When I've read the technical info on manufacturers packaging they've always left the decision to the installer by providing the relevant Bs 5385 code of practice. Usually a get out of jail card when the floor cracks through deflection!

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
First thing you need to do is suss out why its failed. If there is a deflection issue then tiling the floor regardless of what substrate you use may well be a big no no and suggest something like a kerndean. Otherwise there's no way i'm using anything other then a cement board over the top. I prefer NMP glued and screwed.

Reaction score
A can honestly say that in the 16 years a have been tiling the a have only had 2 floors that a have had to lift and relay due to much deflection on the sub floor which a told the client at the time but got told do it the now and we will see how long it last and the cements are a bit pricey in Scotland

F

Flintstone

surely not compared to 18mm wbp ply wood and all that's involved in picking that up and fitting it

Reaction score
To be fair a just advise the clients when they are getting the works done in what materials the tile shops tend to rob people if your not there with them and you no and i no we don't have the time to go way clients sometimes

D

Dumbo

I think that's what was established in the thread then @Boxtiling seems to be going the direct flexible adhesive route!
When I've read the technical info on manufacturers packaging they've always left the decision to the installer by providing the relevant Bs 5385 code of practice. Usually a get out of jail card when the floor cracks through deflection!
To be fair a just advise the clients when they are getting the works done in what materials the tile shops tend to rob people if your not there with them and you no and i no we don't have the time to go way clients sometimes
I don't have tested to hold clients hands in Tile shops . Where would it end

Reaction score
A went to tile shop before the holidays needed 5 bags of floor adhesive and he was wanting to charge me £20 a bag for palace floor adhesive a just walked out the door and drove half an hour to my usual tile shop and got it for £10 a bag Mapei as well

Reply to Overboarding floor panels? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks