Search the forum,

Discuss Outside patio tiled 600x600 porcelain in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

J Sid

Do I require Building Regulation Approval if I wanted to create a Patio?
The answer to this is no you do not need approval if you wish to create a patio. What you do need to consider however is that if you carry out any works and as a result, you make access to the property less satisfactory than it was before, you would be in contravention of the regulations. Say for example you changes levels and introduced stairs that were not there before, you would then be in contravention of the regulations.

B

Bill

Why can't you fix direct into a sand and cement bed? I would still create a sub-base with metal for movement but I would then fix directly into s&c. Done it lots of times outdoors. I don't see the difference to laying flagstones.

L

lukeb

They have concrete slabs atm and grass around (back garden)
Idea is to remove slabs and lay porcelain tile instead.There will be no difference to whats existing.

there is no drainage from existing slabs whatsoever.Geting frustrated as cant get definite answer or method of installation that i would be happy to guarantee.Done his bathrooms and kitchen tiling so its returning bussiness...dont realy want to let him down but at the same time dont want to ruin relationship we already have doing something i would be 100% happy.

I think i might go the route as in original post but use ditra 25 as bridgeing membrane and create fall away from the building.....................dont know.......anyone out there who done similar job:(

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Screed it with a run away from the house to carry water to an aco gulley drain connected to a soak away in the garden ( far enough away from house) and pick a gulley rail to run full length of tiles on the grass edge made of steel but thin profile, saves the need for block pavers at the edge and looks nicer, done a few outside areas like this

L

lukeb

Why can't you fix direct into a sand and cement bed? I would still create a sub-base with metal for movement but I would then fix directly into s&c. Done it lots of times outdoors. I don't see the difference to laying flagstones.

I feel more comfortable with a trowel and thin bed installation tbh.

L

lukeb

Right......need to get the quote sorted by Friday

I will do it as posted......will use gully drains instead of paving blocks as Ttt1601 sugested,
will try to reconnect to existing drainage system instead of soak away(unless not possible)
What fall would you sugest on 3.4m run???

Is Ultracolour (mapei) ok to grout it or shall I go for a different product(needs to be black)

S

Spud

You should aim for a minimum of 25mm per metre fall so around 85 mm over 3.4m no ,I got that wrong that is 1:40 you can be at 1:60-1:80 on a patio so anything from 40mm to 60 mm fall would be fine

L

lukeb

Got quote accepted...hurray.
Client decided to have it raisedone so it will allow to drain water to the gullys and hopefully connect to existing drainage system.

I will install aco drain against house wall as getting close to damp coarse level and one at the end of the patio.....
One more issue (hope not)is screed ok to go outside (ready mixed sand&cement fibre reinforced)as would prefer than concrete.....it's perfect flat finish what I'm after
And is Ultra colour by Mapei ok to be used externally.

Thanks guys for all reply and sugestions

L

lukeb

You should aim for a minimum of 25mm per metre fall so around 85 mm over 3.4m no ,I got that wrong that is 1:40 you can be at 1:60-1:80 on a patio so anything from 40mm to 60 mm fall would be fine
I have room to play now with fall but 1:80 would be minimum.

Reply to Outside patio tiled 600x600 porcelain in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen