Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Outside patio tiled 600x600 porcelain in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

L

lukeb

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi Everyone.

In the quoting stage at the moment- bit of advice to get things right.

Quoting for a 30m2 garden patio done with 600x600 full bodied porcelain.
What preparation work would you sugest- base ready for tile (level with turf)

I thought :
1.Dig the soil up 10 inches deep, weed control membrane than back fill with MOT type 1 (4 inches thick).
2.Lay blinding layer of soft sand and cover the lot with DPM.
3.Shutter the shape of the base (timber and pegs set finish level)
4. Ready mixed screed(as think better finish than concrete#) with 6mm wire mesh to reinforce

Was going to cover it to prevent it from rain just few inches away from the top as do not want to trap moisture in slab.

Thinking of leaving it for 5-6 weeks to cure and tile over.

Questions:
1.Is it ok to tile direct over screed after 6 weeks or shall I use any membrane????
2.what grout to go for and what external sealer(thouight Mapei Ultracolour and LTP Mattstone)
3.Am I right in all those preparation steps or shall I do something different.

All advice much appreciated.Thanks.......;):seenoevil:

OP
O

Old Mod

I'd speak with schluter and enquire as to whether or not Ditra Drain can be used as a water vapour barrier in the same way as Ditra 25, if it can, then it'll solve a lot of problems for you.
You'll be able to go on much sooner, it won't effect drying process and you'll have a fully function drainage system below your tiles which will prevent the chance of the floor lifting due to moisture ingress.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Don't dpm imo, but it needs a drainage system , wether its a very expensive schulter or a normal everyday drainage system is up to you and customer

OP
L

lukeb

I'd speak with schluter and enquire as to whether or not Ditra Drain can be used as a water vapour barrier in the same way as Ditra 25, if it can, then it'll solve a lot of problems for you.
You'll be able to go on much sooner, it won't effect drying process and you'll have a fully function drainage system below your tiles which will prevent the chance of the floor lifting due to moisture ingress.
Hi .

Checked Shluter drain 4&8 online...looks convincing the only question is what is happening with water underneath tile where is that going.

The base for the patio will not be raised it will finish with the turf,they requested 1 row of paving block (flush with tile )in case they might caught tile edges with lawn mover. It will have fall away from the house obviously.
hope its clear what i have said???Thanks

OP
O

Old Mod

You will need seep holes in the block work or schluter may have a metal profile that will protect the tile edge and allow drainage. They have profiles like that for balconies and terraces, there's no reason why one won't suit the edge of a lawn.
Here's Ditra drain working, you can see water draining away from between the mat.
1st pic water on left side draining.
IMG_5285.JPG

Water draining on far right side. It does work.
IMG_5288.JPG

This is one of their profiles with seep holes.
IMG_1698.JPG

IMG_1705.JPG

You can see, they're not small.
IMG_1709.JPG

They have quite a few different ones designed to allow drainage.

OP
L

lukeb

Thanks for reply.

Is there any wrong doing if that drainage is not installed???
What are potential problems associated with tile direct over screed???
Or is there any other ways just to eliminate expense of that drainage system.

OP
O

Old Mod

Thanks for reply.

Is there any wrong doing if that drainage is not installed???
What are potential problems associated with tile direct over screed???
Or is there any other ways just to eliminate expense of that drainage system.
Ok so this is sketchy info, cos I don't rightly know tbh. But I'm sure drainage of outside areas now falls under building regs, so I'd check that first.
Hopefully someone else will know, and will be able to clarify for you.

OP
L

lukeb

Ok so this is sketchy info, cos I don't rightly know tbh. But I'm sure drainage of outside areas now falls under building regs, so I'd check that first.
Hopefully someone else will know, and will be able to clarify for you.

Thanks for comment and honesty.

OP
S

Spud

You can dig a soak away in the garden it has to be a certain distance from the house, this enables the run off water to be soaked up into the water table, from the soak away you can use a standard gulley position in the patio, the gulley connects to the soak away via plastic drainage pipes they are lots of different types of drains/ gulleys from slot drains which are very neat to larger and wider channel gulleys have a chat with a mate who is a landscape gardener they will put you in the right direction

OP
J

J Sid

Do I require Building Regulation Approval if I wanted to create a Patio?
The answer to this is no you do not need approval if you wish to create a patio. What you do need to consider however is that if you carry out any works and as a result, you make access to the property less satisfactory than it was before, you would be in contravention of the regulations. Say for example you changes levels and introduced stairs that were not there before, you would then be in contravention of the regulations.

OP
B

Bill

Why can't you fix direct into a sand and cement bed? I would still create a sub-base with metal for movement but I would then fix directly into s&c. Done it lots of times outdoors. I don't see the difference to laying flagstones.

OP
L

lukeb

They have concrete slabs atm and grass around (back garden)
Idea is to remove slabs and lay porcelain tile instead.There will be no difference to whats existing.

there is no drainage from existing slabs whatsoever.Geting frustrated as cant get definite answer or method of installation that i would be happy to guarantee.Done his bathrooms and kitchen tile so its returning bussiness...dont realy want to let him down but at the same time dont want to ruin relationship we already have doing something i would be 100% happy.

I think i might go the route as in original post but use ditra 25 as bridgeing membrane and create fall away from the building.....................dont know.......anyone out there who done similar job:(

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Screed it with a run away from the house to carry water to an aco gulley drain connected to a soak away in the garden ( far enough away from house) and pick a gulley rail to run full length of tiles on the grass edge made of steel but thin profile, saves the need for block pavers at the edge and looks nicer, done a few outside areas like this

Reply to Outside patio tiled 600x600 porcelain in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock