Search the forum,

Discuss One For The Newbies - How Do They Get Around Taking On Work Above Their Skill Level? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

philrab66

what do you look for when quoting mate?

I am not the best at quoting for tiling work. In my present job I work for landlords mostly (handyman) it is normally total refurbs so the tiling will not be priced individually on most jobs. Normally have to do the kitchen and bathrooms then a bit of tiling on top. I find in my line of work not being a professional tiler people want a cheap job that is why they do not employ a tiler as such. I have never had any complaints but when I have been back to jobs and looked at my tiling it is not 100% but it is passable. It always takes me twice as long as I thought it would so maybe I try and rush it to make some cash.

M

Mr Tiler

Well if its cheap there after your never gonna be satisfied with the work your putting in are ta, in that double the tiling price and add it on as part if the fit rather than the tiling lol

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Phil

I have been quoting from a plastering point of view for a couple of years and probably for the first year I got caught on jobs that I hadn't done before or hadn't used the material, an instance of this was, I quoted to board and skim a 20m/2 ceiling, it was a downstairs room so from my training I new I had to use fire-line board, so quoted for the job, had the correct costing's for the job but I was way off on the labour because I quoted from my experience of plasterboard, little knowing you need to saw this material and also it way heavier, so it took for longer than I'd priced on, I took it on the chin and made very little on it! but learnt from that, if I don't know the material I will always go away and research it, that's the way I do tiling and plastering quotes now, but as tiling is for more technical and imo skilled I use a quote sheet that pretty much covers all aspects from the background to the tile and all things in-between, I'd like to say I devised it but it was my Tutor, so pinched it (for best practise purpose of course!).
So I record everything on that sheet then put the quote together from it, its a working document so I'm not saying its perfect but can be altered if I need to. I can if you PM me your email address, send it across, its only on WORD. Its certainly helped me from short quoting, so may help you.

From convincing customers what they need point - I find if you need it to do the job, then explain to them why its needed and what BENIFITS it will give them, i.e the job will last longer (in the tanking situation) or in the(fireline board situation), its BUILDING REGS, last longer in in the event of a fire!
Like many others on the forum I have come into this trade from another trade, my main job has been catering, so involves a lot of customer service and the firms I've worked for spend a fortune on finding out why customers buy from companies, but what all these (very large companies) comeback with is "people by from people who they like" so what I mean by that is, if you can get the person you are quoting for to like you then convincing them they need to spend an extra £50 on tanking a shower tray is easier when you've won them over.
I now take this into my business, from when I answer the phone, I listen, make sure you write their name down so you don't have to ask again, be interested in their job, take notes on what they say about it, then turn up when you say you will, be polite, introduce yourself and remember to make a point of using there name,
I always remove my shoes and make a point of gesturing to that, so straight away the customers is warming to you, (he's respectful) and again listen to them as they wax lyrical about there kitchen etc, be interested and enthusiastic, that's how I find people buy from me in my main job and I believe it has helped me up to now in my new line of work.

Plus all of the above ADVISE ON THIS THREAD too. lol

Good luck
D

Reply to One For The Newbies - How Do They Get Around Taking On Work Above Their Skill Level? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen