Search the forum,

Discuss New guy from Plumbing forum needs info in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

armyash

Hello everyone

I have been a member on the Plumbing forum for just over a year now. I am currently still in the army but I have signed off so will be out in approximately 12 months, possibly a couple of months earlier.

I have some plumbing/gas qualifications and ideally want to become a plumber with a company or working alongside an experienced plumber. I lack experience to go on my own as I have been trained through the army but have not used the trade a great deal.

Although I know nothing about tiling, I think it would be a good idea to do a tiling course as part of my resettlement, it would come in handy when doing my plumbing work to be able to do any tiling my customers might need doing too. Also if the plumbing goes quiet I may get small tiling jobs come in to keep putting food on the table.

sorry for the life story so far. I have some questions I'd like answered if anyone can help.

What tiling course/qualifications would I be best off doing?

How much should I be looking at spending on tools to get me started?

What tools are a necessity to get me started?

Thanks for reading.

R

Rich

Hello and welcome to the forum. To be honest I think there might be a bit more to tiling to a professional standard than you realise. Not being rude (or at least not trying to be) but I think you would be better off concentrating on either tiling or plumbing as the learning curve is steep to say the least. Best not to bite off more than you can chew.

A

armyash

Hello and welcome to the forum. To be honest I think there might be a bit more to tiling to a professional standard than you realise. Not being rude (or at least not trying to be) but I think you would be better off concentrating on either tiling or plumbing as the learning curve is steep to say the least. Best not to bite off more than you can chew.

That's an understandable reply cheers. In an ideal world I would love to put al my efforts in to plumbing but don't think it would hurt to have other qualifications and skills that I can improve over time. I'm not looking to bodge work to make some money quick I just think even if took 10 years I could be competent at both and make a respectable career from it.

R

Rich

Fair enough, where abouts in the country are you? Im sure somebody can recommend a good course near by :thumbsup:

A

armyash

I'm in Kent at the moment and will be staying down south after I leave the army so anywhere in that area would be great.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
hi and welcome to the forum, i hope your resetlement from the army gose to plan, to answer some of your questions,

basic tools you will need,.... dry cutter, wet cutter, levels, trowells,grout squeege, other bits and bobs like tape measure, hack saw, tile trim snips,mitre block etc.........and not fogetting the most important things a kettle and a radio..:lol:

arround £500 should get you a decent wet / dry cutter and the bit and bobs to get you started.

as for courses, ive never been on one so can't comment on that, but im sure someone can...:thumbsup:

A

armyash

hi and welcome to the forum, i hope your resetlement from the army gose to plan, to answer some of your questions,

basic tools you will need,.... dry cutter, wet cutter, levels, trowells,grout squeege, other bits and bobs like tape measure, hack saw, tile trim snips,mitre block etc.........and not fogetting the most important things a kettle and a radio..:lol:

arround £500 should get you a decent wet / dry cutter and the bit and bobs to get you started.

as for courses, ive never been on one so can't comment on that, but im sure someone can...:thumbsup:

Thanks for the info! I have plenty of time on my side so any snippets of info I can get will be a bonus.

I

Ian

Welcome along to TF. Have a read of this, Tiling Courses Feedback and see what others have thought about the courses they have been on. My one piece of advice would be, don't just do a course because it's local to you, spend that extra time travelling/staying away, to get a course that will give you the best possible introduction into the tiling profession.

A

armyash

Thanks for the heads up, plenty to be reading in there i'm bound to find what i need.

Reply to New guy from Plumbing forum needs info in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen