Discuss Myths and Misunderstandings: Testing the water resistance of grout in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Even with easypoxy they're saying it's essential.

Going to do one now that is ceramic, thin grout join, large tiles, plasterboard, epoxy grout, shower but NOT power shower. See if it lets me unselcted it then.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Intermittent wetting (not frequent - and not power shower)

STILL WITH TANKING AND WONT LET ME NOT SELECT IT!!!!!

So basically, unless it's dry, or a kitchen wall, you need tanking if you're buying BAL.
This wasn't a choice. They say you NEED it.

BAL M40 Tiling Specification (Contractors)
Specification Title: Shower
TILING TO BATHROOM 2

Tiles: Glazed (Porous Body) - Jones Bathroom 3
Size: 450mm x 450mm x 9mm
Base/Background: Plasterboard
Preparation: General preparation as clause 300
Apply BAL WP1 Tanking as clause 520
PRIMING: BAL Prime - APD (Apply priming coat of BAL-PRIME APD as clause 462)
TANKING: BAL-WP1 TANKING SYSTEM (Apply BAL-WP1 TANKING SYSTEM as clause 520)
Bedding: BAL-THIN BED SOLID BED TROWEL (WALLS) as clause 740
Adhesive: BAL WHITE STAR PLUS
Grout: BAL MICROFLEX GROUT (NARROW JOINT)
Colour: White
Joint width: 2mm

T

The D

The things you'll do to prove a guy wrong lol

How is tanking a health and safety issue? PMSL

when you are wrong you are wrong and you are wrong on this one but you keep on insisting you are right. its me LMFAO at your advice to the poor sod in the other thread stop confusing her with bullsh*t and try helping her FFS

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I just called the BAL rep and had a chat about this and funnily enough he doesn't agree with dans technical advice ether. He found the idea that water behind the tiles is a normal occurrence ridiculous and his first thought was this would be a health and safety issue.
Which BAL rep was it? I think he needs to go on a course. Or read the back of a bag of grout.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
when you are wrong you are wrong and you are wrong on this one but you keep on insisting you are right. its me LMFAO at your advice to the poor sod in the other thread stop confusing her with bullsh*t and try helping her FFS
I assume you've seen my powerspec specifications above that prove you and the BAL rep wrong then? lol

How is tanking a health and safety issue Deano?
What's the reps name you spoke to? I assume it's the same rep covering Staffs.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
kieran i will pm you his number
I'm sure he wouldn't mind his number in the tilersforums arms. He's not going to get anybody but potential customers ringing him.

If I select vitrified tiles, for a floor, with 3mm joint, on concrete, I'll give it to you, it doesn't insist on tanking.

BAL M40 Tiling Specification (Contractors)
Specification Title: Tiling a Shower
TILING TO BATHROOM 4

Tiles: Vitrified - Vitrified Tile
Size: 450mm x 450mm x 9mm
Base/Background: Concrete
Preparation: General preparation as clause 300
Bedding: BAL-LARGE FORMAT TROWEL (FLOOR) as clause 820
Adhesive: BAL SINGLE PART FLEXIBLE (GREY)
Grout: BAL WIDE JOINT GROUT
Colour: Charcoal
Joint width: 3mm

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Kieran 07792470430 who says it's a health and safety risk to use tanking in a shower with BAL products. Allegedly. :rolleyes:o_O

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had enough of this thread lol

I wont be replying any more. It's the pettiest thing I've done and seen done since I was about 12.

I'm just not ready to fall out with a human over tiles, I need more time before I do that pmsl it seems I'm just not that way inclined. :)

All the best to Deano and those who wish to use or not use tanking in showers. lol

T

The D

yes is prop best you just stop now lol

if there is water sat behind the tiles it is not normal and you have a problem and that is all i have been saying from the start.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
We've all said that. There's water behind the womans tiles. There's a thread saying so. And you and I both have said it's a problem.

Thank god for water resistant grout though, as the water can get back through!

lol

Given myself a new tag so people know the score when I'm replying. :)

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
This is all getting a bit "handbags at dawn isnt it"

Can I just clarify. there seems to be a tanking is not essential opinion on one side and an it is essential on the other. Is that right.

Deano your own experiment showed that water get through the grout so I don't understand how you can accept the BAL reps opinion that water behind tiles is ridiculous. Grout is not impervious to the passage of water. Showers get wet. Ergo water gets behind tiles in showers. The amount is the key. Is it enough to do damage and how does that damage occur.

The need for tanking would therefore depend more in then on the implication of that water. If it is getting through to a highly absorbent and substrate which will suffer deleterious effect over time e.g. plasterboard, Ply or heaven forbid MDF then I would say tanking is essential. If it is a brick or block wall that has been sand cement rendered, or a cement board lined cubicle then is it an optional safeguard.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
image.jpg

If you can fill one of these in for me @deanotile ill make sure it gets filled as soon as I have time. :)

Haha

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I think like ive already said its been proved for decades that tanking is NOT essential in domestic showers , its just another safegaurd, possibly a good one ???
Another thing what makes me a bit dubious about tanking is its EASY to peel off , its like set PVA ;) could this be a issue with weight ??
(I know i know it says somewhere that its not a problem and it can take 5tonnes per m2 :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:) try it

Reply to Myths and Misunderstandings: Testing the water resistance of grout in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks