Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Myths and Misunderstandings: Testing the water resistance of grout in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
BAL always recommend tanking in showers used anything more than intermittently. And to use water resistant (not proof) adhesive.

So yeah, always tank showers up to head height.
BAL would reccomend it dan, they wanna sell it ;)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
image.jpg

This is the Milky Way spiral galaxy, we call home.

In one arm of that, sits our solar system. We sent satellites out in the 60's that still haven't reached our furthest planet in our solar system.

There's an arrow pointing to our sun. The arrow is the width of 100 suns. You wouldn't see it if it wasn't.

When you look up, some of the 'stars' you see are actually other galaxies, sometimes two dancing with each other.

There could be life in each arm of our own Milky Way.

In our life time we will never know about them. For sure. Out 1000th generation grand child from now probably won't know anything either. By then, 100,000 years from now, the rovers we sent in the 60's would have long died. They still wouldn't have reached outside those spirals.

In that tiny little mix of dots, is our forum. On that forum, there's a thread. In that thread there are some posts.

Never ever ever think what you post in one, or read in one, will change anything at all in the grand scheme of things.

Don't worry. I've danced with Deano's mrs and I hope to again. I have a video where we made a pyramid of shots, and then d1ckhead here knocked them over.

That was at a party for phil's 60th. Who I'm about to call tomorrow.

Let's just move on from this ********.

It's wise to use tanking, it's fine to avoid it. End of.

S

Spare Tool

Great this pub...speaking of dot n dab followed a van the other day WP_20150813_09_47_17_Pro.jpg
Might be doing the guy an injustice but 'jack of all' fffssaake :) look closely and tilings on there

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

ok time to bring this to the real world uk over 100 million bath and shower rooms 99% grouted with love water grouts refurb rate evey 7 to 9 years main reason for refurb out dated .one day fat will kill you next its good for you .to many vested intrest to many without the courage to question .so the king is in the all tougher all tougher as naked as the day he was born .respect those who question for you. while all you know you are told the three wise monkeys of tiling.dean you did not know the answers but were willing to look for them if only 1 in 1000 tiler did the same we would be telling them not them telling us

S

SJPurdy

Is tanking BS in domestic showers?
I mean in wetrooms , its obvious , but in a domestic shower ?
BS are recommendations only ( but could be used as evidence - so if not followed and something goes wrong!). As I said before I think a professional tiler should inform a customer of the BS recommendations so that it is the customers informed choice as to wether to pay for it - although ideally in the future it should become a "building regulation equivalent" so that anyone buying the property in the future will know the standard that it has been constructed to.
Application of tanking is recommended for all showers where the substrate would potentially be damaged by the ingress of water through the tiling layer. The tanking is to protect the substrate.
This is from memory as I no longer have a home copy of BS to refer to.
You do not therefore have to apply tanking over the top of eg. a waterproof tile-backer board (assuming joints are all appropriately sealed - and I would even recommend a secondary elastic tanking tape seal over corners in wet rooms as these are the obvious weak points).

Personally for new build showers I think tile backer boards should be used as tanking the tiled surface of eg plasterboard is often pointless as the leaks are often from the plumbing joints which are on the un-tanked side of the board.

I wonder how many different manufacturer's tubed D1 adhesive instructions still state that they can be used in domestic showers?

T

The D

This will be my last post just to clarify my point.

to start with i am not and never have said that tanking is a waste of time. i do however think that tanking is a very important back up to tiling, should the tiling fail the tanking is there to protect the back ground.

On the subject of grout we all know that grout is not water “proof” but that does not automatically mean it will not offer any resistance to the water. my test in this thread showed that a bog standard grout will resist FULL submersion in water for over 6 hours.

I have no doubt that in a domestic shower as long as the grout has no defects it will resist indefinitely.

There has been a misunderstanding somewhere along the line and pics posted of failed tiling and damage to backgrounds but none of that is due to water ingress through a well grouted joint. This sort of damage is more often caused by bad workmanship. I am certain that if you call any grout manufacturer and ask how many failed domestic installations had been caused purely by water ingress through a well grouted joint they would tell you none.

As for water passing through the grout and sitting behind the tiles and the tiling just being decorative this is just stupid if that was true why would we bother having tiles. I asked a BAL rep about it as this is the first time in 30 years of tiling i have come across someone with this misconception and i was told in no uncertain terms that this was not the norm and if there was water behind the tiles this would be a H&S issue. it had nothing to do with the tanking being a H&S issue that is just another example of someone being given information and totally misunderstanding it.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It's what I've been trying to get across deano, bad workmanship will cause failure, it just doesn't seem to sink in some folks heeds :triumph::sunglasses:
They can or can't in this case ,qoute BS about it defo without question being needed in every domestic shower in the whole wide world cos it will fail without doubt and we will be smited down by the hand of God and cast into hell :imp:
Personally , in some cases hell looks the better option

W

WetSaw

I've only recently been seeing these new fangled tanking kits in the plumbers merchants over here.

Reply to Myths and Misunderstandings: Testing the water resistance of grout in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks