Search the forum,

Discuss Measuring cuts, how do i in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

average

TF
Reaction score
Long term lurker to the forum. I usually tile kitchen splashbacks or tile for family but now im taking on a job in my own house with 2 awkward cuts. One is the 2 corners of the window arent 90degree angles and same as the door. In the upright sides, it then takes a slope into top is how i can describe it and wanting to know whats the best way to find these exact angles. I tried on youtube but cant find anything though i found a clip on cutting angles in skirting by dissecting the angle in half. I found this video helpful but still abit confused. Would this be same with tiles.

Sorry, cant link video but its tommys trade secrets how to fix skirting board.

S

Stef

Measure point to point on all tile edges & take off 5mm if using a 3mm spacer.
I always leave 2mm for any expansion.

average

TF
Reaction score
Should I draw the tile lines out on the wall first. When tiling reveal, do I tile this first with bead or wall tiles first. Another question I have, my wife wants diamond pattern on the floor, I've seen a measure right pro selling in the states, thinking of getting this because it looks to me, a quicker method if getting your cut lines where meets the wall. If the tiles where laid in square pattern, my method of measuring cuts was to lay a tile on top of tile then another touching wall and tile then draw line but can't do this with diamond pattern.

S

Spare Tool

I wouldn't believe anything that Tommy says either do as Steff says and measure one row at a time or on the window drop a level down from your longest cut, ie. your top tile if it curves in then cut all tiles to the same size and fill in behind with adhesive, nice square window

average

TF
Reaction score
I wouldn't believe anything that Tommy says either do as Steff says and measure one row at a time or on the window drop a level down from your longest cut, ie. your top tile if it curves in then cut all tiles to the same size and fill in behind with adhesive, nice square window

Tommy ?

I don't know what you mean fill in with ad and have a square window. The window itself andnframe has a slope at top, like a top of hexagon.

average

TF
Reaction score
ubi.com/products/en-UK/tools-for-fixing-tiles-and-finishings/marcadores-soportes-y-plantillas/mini-escuadra-graduable

try one of these to find your angle cuts. Other manufacturers make similar items.

How would I even use that. That's just looks compacted to me. Do many tiles use this

R

RDTiling

If I'm`understanding correctly, make yourself a tile template from a bit card.

Cut the card to the same size as the tile, and then offer this to window and you can cut the card to the shape of the window with a stanley blade.

Transfer the card to a file and mark out and then cut.

I would ususally use point to point measuring as Stef has said, but this is just another option for you.

Reply to Measuring cuts, how do i in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen