Search the forum,

Discuss Mapei ultracolor plus love it or hate. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

afright

TF
Reaction score
Me for one have decided that I hate the stuff,did a 12m2 WC in metro tiles what a nightmare it was using this grout no sooner you put it on the wall the stuff sets straight away I know yesterday was hot which did not help,I mixed it as they say and even wet the tiles but still it was hard going, so now have decided that I'm done with this stuff and will now only use BAL in future for ceramic's.

Last edited:
I

Ian

Not a fan myself, have been using it this morning and it just sets too fast. It makes me rush and that's not how I like to work. Really struggling to find coloured grouts that I like using at the moment, even grout 3000 is setting too fast in this weather, I had a mix go rock solid in the bucket after 20 mins on Friday. Very frustrating.

afright

TF
Reaction score
I don't mind using it on porcelain but will steer clear using it on ceramics,I think you can not beat BAL grout for ceramic's it just made the day really hard in future if the customer wants me to use it then my price will go up.

afright

TF
Reaction score
I have used micromax 2 think its far better than ucp ,do use weber adhesive never tried there grout always stuck with BAL for years,do like ardex its just that a few customers seemed to go to tile giant and come away with Mapei grout the job in question was having Bal white grout which I was supplying until she shopped at tile giant then came back with coloured grout.

S

StephenR

Ultracolour is very very sensitive to the water content. If mixed exactly as directed, and I weigh the water and grout on kitchen scales, then even if slightly under on the water, the mix will be stiff and it will go off mega fast. A touch more water, and I mean just a tiny bit, sometimes only a sprinkle of what sticks to your hand when dipped in water, can be enough to get it a touch more wet and then the set time changes by quite a bit.

However this may all be relative. I can only use a mix with 0.3 to 0.4 litres of water so 1.5 to 2kg of grout in one go. I set the timer for 20 mins and I had better have used it by that time as it's time to sponge off. If cool, then maybe 25 to 30 mins. If it's on the stiff side, then that time drops to 10 mins. That's the kind of difference a few splashes of water makes. Also a mechanical mixer is a must and makes the set time longer.

But too wet, and it sticks like the proverbial and makes sponging off a complete nightmare.

I haven't used any other type of grout in years and I've had the nightmare set times mentioned in the past. The above is how I got round it.

cheers,

Stephen

Reply to Mapei ultracolor plus love it or hate. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen