Currently reading:
Mapei ultracolor plus love it or hate.

Discuss Mapei ultracolor plus love it or hate. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Me for one have decided that I hate the stuff,did a 12m2 WC in metro tiles what a nightmare it was using this grout no sooner you put it on the wall the stuff sets straight away I know yesterday was hot which did not help,I mixed it as they say and even wet the tiles but still it was hard going, so now have decided that I'm done with this stuff and will now only use BAL in future for ceramic's.

Last edited:
I have used micromax 2 think its far better than ucp ,do use weber adhesive never tried there grout always stuck with BAL for years,do like ardex its just that a few customers seemed to go to tile giant and come away with Mapei grout the job in question was having Bal white grout which I was supplying until she shopped at tile giant then came back with coloured grout.

S

StephenR

Ultracolour is very very sensitive to the water content. If mixed exactly as directed, and I weigh the water and grout on kitchen scales, then even if slightly under on the water, the mix will be stiff and it will go off mega fast. A touch more water, and I mean just a tiny bit, sometimes only a sprinkle of what sticks to your hand when dipped in water, can be enough to get it a touch more wet and then the set time changes by quite a bit.

However this may all be relative. I can only use a mix with 0.3 to 0.4 litres of water so 1.5 to 2kg of grout in one go. I set the timer for 20 mins and I had better have used it by that time as it's time to sponge off. If cool, then maybe 25 to 30 mins. If it's on the stiff side, then that time drops to 10 mins. That's the kind of difference a few splashes of water makes. Also a mechanical mixer is a must and makes the set time longer.

But too wet, and it sticks like the proverbial and makes sponging off a complete nightmare.

I haven't used any other type of grout in years and I've had the nightmare set times mentioned in the past. The above is how I got round it.

cheers,

Stephen

I

Ian

Ultracolour is very very sensitive to the water content. If mixed exactly as directed, and I weigh the water and grout on kitchen scales, then even if slightly under on the water, the mix will be stiff and it will go off mega fast. A touch more water, and I mean just a tiny bit, sometimes only a sprinkle of what sticks to your hand when dipped in water, can be enough to get it a touch more wet and then the set time changes by quite a bit.

However this may all be relative. I can only use a mix with 0.3 to 0.4 litres of water so 1.5 to 2kg of grout in one go. I set the timer for 20 mins and I had better have used it by that time as it's time to sponge off. If cool, then maybe 25 to 30 mins. If it's on the stiff side, then that time drops to 10 mins. That's the kind of difference a few splashes of water makes. Also a mechanical mixer is a must and makes the set time longer.

But too wet, and it sticks like the proverbial and makes sponging off a complete nightmare.

I haven't used any other type of grout in years and I've had the nightmare set times mentioned in the past. The above is how I got round it.

cheers,

Stephen

Mixing in small amounts is not recommended as far as I'm aware, Mapei advise to mix the entire 5kg with 1litre of water.

S

StephenR

Mixing in small amounts is not recommended as far as I'm aware, Mapei advise to mix the entire 5kg with 1litre of water.

I agree. The amount I'm talking is in the region of 1% and I bet the scales aren't that accurate so the mix is what Mapei suggest is correct. The ratios I'm using are the same as 5kg for 1l and both measured on scales. The darker colours don't seem to need the extra while white and the lighter colours seem to. Also, a mechanical mixer works better than anything I've attempted by hand.

cheers,

Stephen

Hi Brian, I hope your well pal. Just noticed your comment on Grout 3000, 20 minutes is far too quick, the idea is a minimum of 30 minutes pot life. What colour was it please that you were using and if you have any left over a batch number would be ideal?

It is always difficult in these conditions are you fixers know but please son't stop using the product, let the manufacturers know of these issues, its our job to put this right!

I

Ian

Hi Brian, I hope your well pal. Just noticed your comment on Grout 3000, 20 minutes is far too quick, the idea is a minimum of 30 minutes pot life. What colour was it please that you were using and if you have any left over a batch number would be ideal?

It is always difficult in these conditions are you fixers know but please son't stop using the product, let the manufacturers know of these issues, its our job to put this right!

It was jasmine Mark, one of the sample bags you gave me at EMC a few weeks ago. It was very strange, it had gone solid in the bucket but, was still soft in the joints on the walls I'd done so far, I think I've still got a chunk of it actually, any thoughts on why this may have happened? The grey I used didn't react like that, the only real difference that I can think of is the temperature, but it wasn't a vast difference.

It goes off quicker in the bucket because there is a larger quantity in there and as a result when mixed it can generate heat which just adds to the quicker set in a similar way to the Mapei grout. It does take a touch longer in the joint, however it will be solid in 3 hours.

Difference between Mid Grey and Jasmine, there shouldn't be. Same base formulation, same cements etc just different pigments. The Mid Grey could have contained a touch more retarder in the full batch perhaps but it would have been a minimal difference.

I

Ian

Also do not forget that water temp can speed up the grout setting time in the pot... clean cold water and a clean bucket.

That's something I've always been very wary of since my UCP jasmine incident a couple of years ago! I always check the water and even have a different bucket for different grout colours, maybe a bit OTT but, better to be safe than sorry.

S

steve187

never have liked mapei grouts, have used kellakoll grouts recently. The fugalite eco -liquid ceramic is a bit like epoxy but easier to use, takes a bit of getting used to.
The fugabella porcellana eco 0-5, comes in 32 colours ( avoid the coffee its twice the price of all the others) its so easy to use and a whole 50 metre floor can be done and have time for a tea break before washing off.is also good foe the metal mosaic no scratching.

Reply to Mapei ultracolor plus love it or hate. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement