Search the forum,

Discuss Manners in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Flintstone

Since doing my website and putting a bit of time into creating an online presence, I'm getting calls every week from people that have found me on line, I don't get hardly any of the jobs, I'm getting sick of quoting and not hearing anything back, it's bad manners concidering the time you take to visit some ones home and give them advice and whatever, a phone all to say I'm too expensive or they don't like my face, anything, would be nice! I find myself almost putting a few obstacles in place on the phone before going out to look at a job just to try and judge how serious they are or how tight!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Get used to it the world's full of time wasters.!!
Your right in what your doing though , ask questions before you waste your time. Anyone who contacts me gose through a mini interview to try and separate the wheat from the chaff.
Oh....and don't take it personally ...jobs are like busses you miss one then 2 will come along at once..:)

A

Aston

There's no such thing as a time waster.

If a person has rang you, then there's a reason? It's called subconscious behaviour?
If they don't use you it's because..

1. You didn't sell your services well enough - poor sales delivery and technique
2. You could'nt justify the benefits of your price - no such thing as too expensive.
3. They didn't like your tracky bottoms - image issue
4. They are not ready now - so leave a good impression, so when they are ready, they'll use you
5. They did'nt like you - could be your attitude or lack of enthsiasm
6. They didnt connect with you - thinking of your outcome, rather than theirs
7. They picked up on the fact you resented being there - I'll let you fill that bit in ;0)

And the list goes on....
If you want to be in business, then you HAVE to learn to
1. sell correctly
2. Be very motivated
3. Be very resilient
4. Be unaffected by rejection
5. Aim to be better than your competition

I am honestly not having a go, I am just trying to show you the other side of what having a business is all about that's all....You could be the best tiler on the planet but if you don't get the sales skills right, you won't reach your potential.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just to add....what I mean by 'timewaster'
It's the person fishing for a price before you have even seen the job.
asking will it be cheaper for cash.
can you still come and quote the job even though you told them your booked for 2 months and they want it doing next week.
Or my budgets £100 will that be enough to tile my 20m2 kitchen floor...
Some jobs just ain't worth looking at if you got plenty on....imo

F

Flintstone

I am very good with people and know how to converse with all types of people, I have no doubt in my self or my ability to make a good impression. Andy is right.
Some times you can tell straight away, other times, not so easy. if they make a point of needing it done straight away, or have been let down by another tiler, or ask about money on the phone then it's a no go. I can often tell when some one is having loads of quotes off everyone in the area by the un personal mannor that they speak to you, that's a no go!
It's just the ones that seem fine and 'aren't in a rush' they you do all the leg work and here nothing more from it

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ofcoarse theres timewasters , but you should be able to sniff them out within seconds .
Worlds full of ijeets wanting
A a job doing for nowt
B advice on a job to diy it
C just a knob thinking he/she wants a job doing but can't afford it but get someone round just for the craic

If someone wants my advice, they need only ask , the other two can lick my dogs sack .
Ps i can post said sack as they are being chopped off tomorrow (its my daughters dog, but as they have moved back in it feels like my bloody dog :( )

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ofcoarse theres timewasters , but you should be able to sniff them out within seconds .
Worlds full of ijeets wanting
A a job doing for nowt
B advice on a job to diy it
C just a knob thinking he/she wants a job doing but can't afford it but get someone round just for the craic

If someone wants my advice, they need only ask , the other two can lick my dogs sack .
Ps i can post said sack as they are being chopped off tomorrow (its my daughters dog, but as they have moved back in it feels like my bloody dog :( )
You definitely have a way with words !!
And agree with what your saying.

However once you have agreed to look at a job then that's when Aston tilings sale technique comes into play....

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I had a customer ring me last week found my number online he was a retired joiner and had a bash at doin it him self then 2 courses in to the job stopped and cleaned the walls and tiles off and gave me a call but soon as I got there there he stated the ol "if the price is right the jobs yours" I went in took my measurements had a chat and found that he had used pva to print the surface which was skim plaster over s&c render and the skim was very patchy and not stuck very well at all and the render was very bumpy so I intended to use my concrete grinder to waz the the remaining skim off the wall and clean the pva off and flatten the bumps before I started it and he clearly thought I was having him over he said "it will be fine I've used pva for years with no trouble" and was kind of instant I "cracked on and just use more adhesive to build out" needless to say I worked out a price with a breakdown of what I was goin to be doin and time scale and didn't even text me or email saying thanks for ur time or quote

F

Flintstone

You definitely have a way with words !!
And agree with what your saying.

However once you have agreed to look at a job then that's when Aston tilings sale technique comes into play....

Give us some of your Patter Andy..

A

Aston

you can never tell by a quick phone call....
you think you can but you can't be 100% sure...
all as you have done is spent a couple of minutes quickly assessing them and formed a judgment without any real exploration...Sales companies get rid of people like that in a heart beat and whether you like it or not, sales is part of your job.

when a person asks for a cheap quote, it doesn't always mean, that's all ive got to spend, it can also translate to please don't rip me off.

if a person says, ''i want it doing next week'' and you are busy, maybe they will wait for you?? maybe the guy they used instead of you makes a right mess and then they call you back and say they'll wait for you and pay you what ever it takes.

If you took the extra time and effort to go to every job and give them the reassurance or whatever it is they are looking for, you would be surprised at how many much more money you would make..You could even think about expanding (God for bid o_O

its all about a certain attitude. i bet you any money you like, if it was january and we had another recession like 2008, you'd be round to every call you got??

the answer is complacency or your maxed out
I have been there too and I know the difference between when i'm really on top of my game and when I think I am??

Reply to Manners in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen