Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

1. laugh TilersForums.co.uk Tiling Job Of The Month Competition! laugh

Vote on July competition by clicking HERE (click the thumbs up on the job you want to win!

Enter in August competition by clicking HERE (click 'add your JOTM entry' and then 'add media')

2. ismoat Building Products

Discuss Lippage clips... charge or not? in the Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. Chris Gibbs

Chris Gibbs Active Member

IMG_1960.JPG I've been using clips more frequently these days due to tile size, rectified edge tiles etc... trouble is over the month they can be quite expensive if you're using them on several jobs. Question is do you charge for the clips or not?

• Like Like x 1
  2. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Like any other consumable, should be factored in, why wouldn't you?

3. callatiler

callatiler Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

same, same factor into price.

4. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Professional Tiler TTA Member Top Contributor

You should really . I had a job where a builder was meant get the tiler but couldn't. Any way I did the job and the householder said his tiler wouldn't of done such a good job ( he must be crap ) due in part I suspect of not using anti lippage clips . Quality costs.

5. timeless john

timeless john Trusted Advisor Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

If it's going to add £1-£2 per metre onto your rate it could mean you don't get the job.
    It won't affect some tilers because they are working for discerning customers, but once you've used them you will be including them on all larger formats, and if the client baulks at the cost then they are probably not the clients that appreciate the efforts to do a quality job.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Localtiler

Localtiler Professional Tiler Top Contributor

I agree with John.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Localtiler

The question is, do you mention your going to use them in your quote or just use them

8. Andystiletiling

Andystiletiling Professional Tiler

Just got turned over on my last job using clips, 60sqm pool surround...came to payday and I walked away with a cheque and part cash, stuck £50 for clips on the bill and he said "we'll just call that right for the cash then" :( ...shafted again, but normally yes I would charge for them

9. LEE MAC

LEE MAC Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

I always include them in my list of materials, as Marc says "why wouldn't you?"
    If ever they're queried once I explain what they are and what they do there's no more debate.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Localtiler

For me, I don't make a list of materials

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. Andy Allen

Andy Allen Forum Entertainer! Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Why didn't you stick £50 on the quote ?

12. impish

impish Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler Top Contributor

I stopped breaking down materials. Now it's just "materials" partially itemised and then one amount.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Rookery

Rookery Professional Tiler

Generally, my quotes say £££ materials + £££ labour. I don't itemise the materials so its all lumped together. That would include everything I'm going to use including a small amount for "consumables".

14. Andystiletiling

.open ended day rate with all mats supplied(except clips) Andy.....there was no quote ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Andy Allen

Andy Allen Forum Entertainer! Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Ahhh .... Day rate...... should of guessed that.... :)

• Like Like x 3
  16. Joe Clinton

Joe Clinton Active Member

Agree with the comments so far, they need charging for, wouldn’t put them on the quote/invoice tho, it would be the same as putting spacers on when people used them.
    To be fair if your doing a 35m ish bathroom of 60x30’s it’s only bout 25-30 quid so worth it for the better finish in the end imho

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. timeless john

timeless john Trusted Advisor Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

The more competition the lower the price will become - eventually.
    I would not show it as a breakdown cost as customers would assume a professional tiler should be getting them level and lippage free anyway. However as a progressive development in our industry it's just another tool/consumerable required to attain that near perfect job. The increase in meterage has to make them cost effective.

• Like Like x 2
  18. AOS TIling

AOS TIling Active Member

So many tilers using clips these days? Won't be long before DIY enthusiassts become part of the competition I fear. I hope for the professionals on here that I am proved wrong, but can't see it going any other way.
    'Endorsed and used by professionals' will be their tag line on the shelves of Wicks / B&Q.

19. Andystiletiling

You have read Mp3's how to tile a room then :):)

20. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Professional Tiler TTA Member Top Contributor

Anti lippage clips doesn't make the job idiot proof and I should know .