Search the forum,

Discuss Limestone floor restoration in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

went to a job on friday to clean a limestone floor ,the client had called me earlier on in the week asking for a price ,I gave them 2 options one for a chemical clean and reseal and one for grinding the surface off the floor,arrived on site on friday for the cleaning job but could not do it as the floor definitely needs regrinding ,I am going there tomorrow to do this and will take some before and after pictures :thumbsup:

S

Spud

Why do you have to regrind floor Gary..
there is a residue/lacker on the stone Jonny ,grimex wouldnt touch it the only way i found of easliy removing it was to sand the floor back ,i did a test area by hand and it came up really well ,the customer doesnt like the idea of using strong hcl based solvents to remove the contaminants so its going to have to be sanded

J

jonnyc

there is a residue/lacker on the stone Jonny ,grimex wouldnt touch it the only way i found of easliy removing it was to sand the floor back ,i did a test area by hand and it came up really well ,the customer doesnt like the idea of using strong hcl based solvents to remove the contaminants so its going to have to be sanded
gary , i used to strip loads of floors that had what paris ceramics called pc1 and pc3 sealers on them.they were very heavy duty and sat in face of tile.they could be removed with stainaway but unfortunately that is not made any more, but nitromors does the same thing.i would give thata go or lithofin wax off a try before regrinding the floor.if you can send me a pic of the sealer and where tile was brought from this may give me a clue what is on it. catelnau laso used to sell a heavy duty surface seal for their limestone and this can re removed as well.

E

enduro

Or you could try Aquamix Sealer & Coating remover. I have had great results with this product stripping some really bad floors.

S

Spud

thanks for the advice guys ,wished I would have read it before I went to site today ,I totally under estimated just how tough getting the lacquer off the tiles would be ,I went through 10 36 grit double sided sanding discs and my machine over heated several times ,the floor is looking really good however and a major improvement on how it looked previously ,I do need to remove some small areas of residue and will try the nitromors tomorrow ,I have some pictures of the before and after and will upload them once I have done the job ,thanks again guys I found this particular floor much harder than any one I have ever done before the sealer looked like yacht varnish and clogged the pads no end

afright

TF
Reaction score
gary , i used to strip loads of floors that had what paris ceramics called pc1 and pc3 sealers on them.they were very heavy duty and sat in face of tile.they could be removed with stainaway but unfortunately that is not made any more, but nitromors does the same thing.i would give thata go or lithofin wax off a try before regrinding the floor.if you can send me a pic of the sealer and where tile was brought from this may give me a clue what is on it. catelnau laso used to sell a heavy duty surface seal for their limestone and this can re removed as well.
Have used nitromors on a terracotta floor cleaned up a treat.

Last edited:

Reply to Limestone floor restoration in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen