1. UKPlumbersForums.co.uk is down at the moment while I upgrade it.

So you're welcome to come chat IN THIS THREAD if you're browsing and looking for somewhere to keep up to date on what's going on with it and when we'll be back online etc

The forum ads disappear once you post. 

2. Job Of The Month Competition IS BACK!

You'll be able to enter each month as normal, upload 15 images, expain the job, and the following month the voting starts automatically. The winner is chosen on the 22nd of each month for the previous month. We'll start getting some goodies together from companies to give to the winners!

CHECKOUT THE JOB OF THE MONTH COMPETITION

Dismiss Notice
  3. Underfloor Heating by uHeat

Discuss Laying large limestone tiles over UFH in the Underfloor Heating Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Subscribe to our newsletter and get deals and discounts in your inbox. :) Click here to subscribe / unsubscribe.
  1. Schoolrunmum

Schoolrunmum New to TilersForums.co.uk

Hello all,
    We had a wet self levelling screed floor pumped into our kitchen back in October. UF Heating has been running well since. Just ordered 900x600 limestone tiles and need advice on prep before laying them. We have been told various things, conflicting too. Do I need to seal/prime the floor? Do I need a decoupling membrane? Do I use a fast or slow drying adhesive? Do I use a flexi adhesive?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Ajax123

Ajax123 Tilers Forums Pro - Screed Advisor Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

I assume when you say pumped self levelling screed you mean something like Gypsol. If so...

Turn off the underfloor heating for 48 hours and carry out moisture test to make sure its dry. sand and vac the floor to remove any loose friable laitance or other contamination. Prime it using an acrylic primer and stick an uncoupling membrane down using a gypsum based adhesive. then stick your tiles to this using a flexible adhesive suitable for the application and grout with a flexible grout. clean off and seal tiles once adhesive and grout are fully dried.

the gypsum adhesive is a medium rapid setting with a pot life perhaps 40 minutes to 1 hour. on top of the uncoupling membrane rapid set or standard set is largely a matter of personal choice.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Schoolrunmum

The guys that laid it tell me its TS40 by Gypsol, if that helps..oh, and the tiles are being delivered tomorrow, but will have to stay outside till we lay them. Snow forecast here tomorrow, is cold likely to crack them or anything?? Also, can anyone recommend an acrylic primer?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  4. timeless john

timeless john Trusted Advisor Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

Use a primer recommended to go with your adhesive.
    Outside fine - keep off floor and covered.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Schoolrunmum

Its appears Gypsol don't make a TS 40 ! Apparently, it's Gypsol Classic...

6. timeless john

You are getting the limestone laid professionally?

7. Ajax123

that's interesting as TS40 is not a mix. there is TS20 and TS15 but no TS40??? how deep is it? is it on insulation?? Who Laid it??

• Like Like x 1
  8. Schoolrunmum

Hi Alan, apparently it's Classic...laid by Southern Screed..it's 50mm on Kingspan 80mm approx with wet UFH x

9. widler

widler THE Troll Wannabe Professional Tiler

If you can get tilemaster use there matting along with anylfix to fit it and depending on the colour of limestone use either grey or white s1 tilemaster addy .
    Id personally use standard set to fix the tiles .
    Screed need sanding , vacing and priming using tm primer (if you can get it, if not use which ever addy you can get hold of)

10. widler

Are you doing it yourself in between the school run ;) or is a tiler fixing the stone :innocent::innocent:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Schoolrunmum

I'll have a go at most things, but we have so many jobs to do we are getting a tiler in, but we have had 2 quotes, and both advised different things....

12. timeless john

Tell us what was advised for an opinion.
    Have they been recommended and have you seen their work .

13. Ajax123

that's fine. I know they don't make a TS40 cos I work there... Classic is just the normal all purpose screed so treat as per advice above.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Schoolrunmum

Thanks all, we have been told variously to use fast drying adhesive, then slow drying, flexi and non flexi, and a decoupler...confuzzled!

• Like Like x 1
  15. widler

Go with the one who says flex and decoupler.make sure they sand ,vac and prime though , gotta be done on anyldrite

• Like Like x 2
  16. Ajax123

with ufh it must be flexi as you will get differential thermal expansion and contraction and uncoupling is a specific recomendation of the british stone federation. i agree with widler... go with the one who says flexi and uncoupling as he at least sounds like he knows what he is talking about. slow or standard set means you would not be able to traffic the tiles or grout them for at least 24 hours. i dont do much tiling myself and then only for myself but even so i prefer rapid set

17. Schoolrunmum

Thank you all for the input-last question, I have been told I need to seal floor with a polymer primer...can anyone recommend one? A google search comes up with a Wickes own brand one- wickes Primer and Admixture, a copolymer based on n-butyl acrylate and styrene, and a BAL APD acrylic primer. Are either of these suitable?

18. widler

Which ever adhesive you are using use the same make primer , so if you are using bal use the bal primer