Search the forum,

Discuss Large Form Tumbled Limestone Floor Tile Advice in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

StevieBoy

I don't quite understand why u pre sealed them tho?
Not something I'd normally do, I must admit..
Depends on the grout colour. If you were grouting them with say a dark grey, they could stain quite easily.

What colour are you grouting them with John?

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I don't quite understand why u pre sealed them tho?
Not something I'd normally do, I must admit..
Grout colour yet to be decided hence why I sealed first. Also, its a large building project with a lot of trades on site so didn't want to take a chance on someone carrying a cup of coffee over it at some point or something else and well..... you know.

O

Old Mod

Well tbh it's hard work sealing 70m before u even lay it, u shouldn't be stacking them against each other before they dry.
If there is any moisture left in the stone once u've laid to a decoupler, where's the moisture gonna go? Take forever to dry out thro the joints, especially 30mm thick!
U shouldn't be letting ANYONE anywhere near it til u've finished!
Sod em! They keep off!
And if anything more serious than a drink is spilt, chances are ur gonna have to replace it anyway!

J

J Sid

I would lay and then give a good clean and leave to completely dry for as long as possible 2,3 or 4 days depending on time of year and where the tiles how been stored, and then seal and grout. Clean again, let dry and seal a final time.
If on a site then make it clear that NOBODY walks anywhere near the floor till completed.

O

Old Mod

I would lay and then give a good clean and leave to completely dry for as long as possible 2,3 or 4 days depending on time of year and where the tiles how been stored, and then seal and grout. Clean again, let dry and seal a final time.
If on a site then make it clear that NOBODY walks anywhere near the floor till completed.
What are u, a parrot on my shoulder? Hahahaha

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Well tbh it's hard work sealing 70m before u even lay it, u shouldn't be stacking them against each other before they dry.
If there is any moisture left in the stone once u've laid to a decoupler, where's the moisture gonna go? Take forever to dry out thro the joints, especially 30mm thick!
U shouldn't be letting ANYONE anywhere near it til u've finished!
Sod em! They keep off!
And if anything more serious than a drink is spilt, chances are ur gonna have to replace it anyway!

I agree, its hard work but no matter how much you tell people not to go near your floor, they always seem to find there way onto it, no respect! Always looking to improve my methods and if the consensus is that laying then sealing is sufficient then so be it in the future, I worry a bit about adhesive staining aswell although I do work very clean. They were sealed and laid out flat on 2 timbers so no issues with them touching each other whilst drying. Cheers, lads, much appreciated.

J

J Sid

John, if you can't stop other trades walking on you work, have a word with the customer and let them know your concerns and they will let it be know to everyone that nobody should walk on his newly laid floor.
Other trades will listen to him/her.
Or learn to SHOUT A LOT
Good luck with the job

Reply to Large Form Tumbled Limestone Floor Tile Advice in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen