Discuss Large Form Tumbled Limestone Floor Tile Advice in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all,

got a 70sqr mtr floor to do in tumbled limestone in sizes 1000mmx600 900x600 800x600 and 700x600, 30 mm thick.
The builder has not yet spoken to the architect or customer above how they want this set out but I don't think it is done in a opus like pattern with them sizes surely? I have attached a photo of how I think they should be set out and would like to know what you lot think.

Also, what size spacers would people use? I am looking at a 5mm space bearing in mind they are tumbled.

apart from that its all being de-coupled, fixed with one part rapid norcross, cleaned and sealed before laying, after fixed and after grouting.

Any other advice much appreciated, have installed plenty of tumbled stone before but nothing in such large form.

Cheers, John J.M.C Tiling,

Dijon-Limestone-Tumbled-Floor-Tiles-Mr-Heywood8.jpg

S

StevieBoy

Hi John, that's going to look very smart when it's done, but the 1000 x 600's will certainly take some lugging about especially 30mm thick :(

I don't see anything wrong with layout that you have in the picture, 5mm to 7mm joints would be fine, but I wouldn't use spacers due to any irregularitys in the tile sizes - you may get caught out there.

I would have them sealed before fixing, then when grouted - I don't think you need to do it in between.

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi John, that's going to look very smart when it's done, but the 1000 x 600's will certainly take some lugging about especially 30mm thick :(

I don't see anything wrong with layout that you have in the picture, 5mm to 7mm joints would be fine, but I wouldn't use spacers due to any irregularitys in the tile sizes - you may get caught out there.

I would have them sealed before fixing, then when grouted - I don't think you need to do it in between.

Cheers stevie, I did consider not using spacers for that very reason but will work around a 5mm joint, I sealed them all today and will consider only one more seal once finished as you suggest. thanks again.

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Cheers stevie, I did consider not using spacers for that very reason but will work around a 5mm joint, I sealed them all today and will consider only one more seal once finished as you suggest. thanks again.
oh and thankfully I have a labourer to help lump them about ha ha!

S

StevieBoy

No probs, I would also back skim them too.

Reply to Large Form Tumbled Limestone Floor Tile Advice in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks