Search the forum,

Discuss large cuts in 60cmx60cm porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tiler burden

can anyone help regarding this one.

i was in porcelainosa today and as i walked in the showroom, there was a section of 60cmx60cm polished porcelain tiles and in the middle was a large 2 meter circle depicting a compass north-south-west east circle cut out in the middle.

the tiler had obviously cut out curved sections of the 60x60's but my question is, how do you cut large curves out of porc..the edges were really clean and smooth.any tips or advice

cheers
ed

T

tiler burden

sorry mate not the feature , i mean the 60cm x 60cm polished porc field tiles that it fitted into...

i take it he would have laid the feature pre made circle on top of the laid out porc tiles then drew a circle around so that it transfered onto the tiles, but what method would have been used to cut out the curves to make the circle?? reason i ask is because the edges where really smooth and accurate for a wet saw. unless he used a scribe to swing the curves and a combination of a wet saw to reduce the sections, finished off with nippers...any ideas mate

D

DHTiling

Would probably have been done with a grinder and then finished off with grit pads on the grinder....to get a nice smooth edge.......

T

tiler burden

godbless ya david, i knew you'd be the man who'd know..better go and buy that bosch with the kick back feature hey lol

thanks mate..
ed

D

Deleted member 1779

I recon Dave might have a point. Could be Water jet cutting
StoneBG.gif

Did your compass artwork sort of look like the above??

A water jet company do features in tiles - See the wavy pattern below in the blue and white tile

TilesBG.gif

Our core cutters will only go to a max of 125mm so beyond that its water jet cutting.

One Stop Water Jet

M

MICK the Tiler

Or you can get a water fed band saw they are available down here and in the states not sure how popular they are over there though.

Reply to large cuts in 60cmx60cm porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen