Currently reading:
Is this an acceptable edge cut?

Search the forum,

Discuss Is this an acceptable edge cut? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

We are currently having our bathroom renovated, and I am becoming increasingly unhappy with the finish of the grout and the tile cuts. The installer, who claims to be a professional tiler, says that is the best finish that can be achieved on a cutout, as it needs to be done with an angle grinder. I find this hard to believe, and would your opinions please.
The tiles are good quality ceramic tiles.
Is this an acceptable finish and should I expect this to be rectified?

Thanks in advance for your feedback :eek:)

IMG_4064.JPG IMG_4065.JPG

Thanks for your feedback
Wayne - yes indeed, the tiles are not entirely flush. This is true of many areas of the bathroom. I've been told by my "tiler" that this is normal.
Here is a clearer photo of that corner, and another example of non-flush tiles.
IMG_4067.JPG
IMG_4068.JPG
Unfortunately the tap surround here does not adhere to the tiles behind properly, as they are not flush.
And some more examples below..
Short of expecting it to all be ripped out and redone, what would be a fair recourse for this? I don't want to be unfair, but I also don't expect to pay full balance if this is not an appropriate finish?
IMG_4069.JPG IMG_4071.JPG IMG_4072.JPG IMG_4073.JPG

Thanks for your feedback
Wayne - yes indeed, the tiles are not entirely flush. This is true of many areas of the bathroom. I've been told by my "tiler" that this is normal.
Here is a clearer photo of that corner, and another example of non-flush tiles.
View attachment 92130
View attachment 92131
Unfortunately the tap surround here does not adhere to the tiles behind properly, as they are not flush.
And some more examples below..
Short of expecting it to all be ripped out and redone, what would be a fair recourse for this? I don't want to be unfair, but I also don't expect to pay full balance if this is not an appropriate finish?
View attachment 92132 View attachment 92134 View attachment 92135 View attachment 92136
Sorry he
We are currently having our bathroom renovated, and I am becoming increasingly unhappy with the finish of the grout and the tile cuts. The installer, who claims to be a professional tiler, says that is the best finish that can be achieved on a cutout, as it needs to be done with an angle grinder. I find this hard to believe, and would your opinions please.
The tiles are good quality ceramic tiles.
Is this an acceptable finish and should I expect this to be rectified?

Thanks in advance for your feedback :eek:)

View attachment 92125 View attachment 92126
He is no tiler leaving cuts like that

M

Matt Bott

i would like to mention your asking some of the best tilers in the uk on appropriate finish, they didn't qoute, so there finish will be different along with there price. I would not be happy with this finish no one would. If you would like the best finish possible there's tilers on here that can do it for sure so you could have a look for a trusted advisor near you.
As far as lippage at the tap possibly could remove the tile and sit a new one in, its hard to gauge without inspecting to see if it's one tile high or low. The window cuts should be redone properly but can your tiler do that and if he can why not in the first place because they can be a lot better than that.
If you could have a look at some of his other work to see what it's like that should give you an idea of what you have paid for (maybe) I hope you get everything sorted like others on here will agree it's upsetting to see this workmanship.

O

Old Mod

If you have a standard height room @2.4m approx and minus 1.5m2 for the door.
No deduction for a window, highly unliky there's a saving to be made there.
So 16m2 give or take.
Not being in your tilers shoes, I can't say you were overcharged.
However, if I charged you that sum of money, I personally would expect to give you a much higher standard of finish.

O

One Day

You know what's more surprising than the lack of quality?
The fact that many many customers would be happy enough with it.
That's a proven point because so many "tilers" are turning out work like that and are busy doing it.
I despair sometimes, I really do.
Today I spent about 4hrs mitreing and polishing porcelthin, and I've probably another 12 hrs worth of the same.
I could have put a 5mm trim on and the customer would be happy enough...
I'm never gonna make any money tiling like this :(

M

Matt Bott

That's a proven point because so many "tilers" are turning out work like that and are busy doing it.
Today I spent about 4hrs mitreing and polishing porcelthin, and I've probably another 12 hrs worth of the same.
Surely you make a profit or you sitting on a rather large hedge fund? Share the love :D

P

pjohn

Pity you're not closer my way, would get you to quote for our family bathroom and kitchen as we're getting those done in a year or so ... having seem some of your work, and read the level of professionalism you hold yourself to, I would hope you'd have people knocking down your door. :)

Well there's not really much point in me following this thread anymore.
I wasn't lucky enough to see what the paid price was. So obviously I can't back my opinion up like others have.

For all I know this is a top quality job. A perfect result, based on a bargain price of £x

We all know the obvious rules for 'prices not being discussed on the forum'.

But a customer saying 'I paid £x amount' isn't really discussing prices is it?

Q

Qwerty

@Martyn Leeds the OP was asking if it was an acceptable edge cut. Regardless of the price paid it is not an acceptable edge cut. The thread has naturally then moved on to the overal standard of finish and price paid. Prices as you know regardless of circumstances arent discusssed in the public forums. Even I haven't seen it yet (and I have access to) but I do not feel any need to see it in order to pass judgement on it. One thing I know for sure is that it is never going to be a top quality job even if it was free!

It is an unacceptable standard of cutting and the work in general appears to be of a poor standard.

M

Matt Bott

Plan tech that is very good point and I would have to agree, thing is it's down to opinion, yes to us it's unacceptable, I guess I see it like this there people that wouldn't speand any less than 300k on a car because the quality of the cars below that are not of good enough quality for them and I know people that would never speand more than £500 for a car regardless of the quality or condition. I think the problem is that costumers have to guess what car there buying regardless of the price they pay. Sometimes I feel like quoting 3 levels of quality which is ridiculous

D

Dumbo

Plan tech that is very good point and I would have to agree, thing is it's down to opinion, yes to us it's unacceptable, I guess I see it like this there people that wouldn't speand any less than 300k on a car because the quality of the cars below that are not of good enough quality for them and I know people that would never speand more than £500 for a car regardless of the quality or condition. I think the problem is that costumers have to guess what car there buying regardless of the price they pay. Sometimes I feel like quoting 3 levels of quality which is ridiculous
That is ridiculous you do what you do and that's it take it or leave it .

Reply to Is this an acceptable edge cut? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement