Discuss Is this an acceptable edge cut? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Old Mod

If you have a standard height room @2.4m approx and minus 1.5m2 for the door.
No deduction for a window, highly unliky there's a saving to be made there.
So 16m2 give or take.
Not being in your tilers shoes, I can't say you were overcharged.
However, if I charged you that sum of money, I personally would expect to give you a much higher standard of finish.

O

One Day

You know what's more surprising than the lack of quality?
The fact that many many customers would be happy enough with it.
That's a proven point because so many "tilers" are turning out work like that and are busy doing it.
I despair sometimes, I really do.
Today I spent about 4hrs mitreing and polishing porcelthin, and I've probably another 12 hrs worth of the same.
I could have put a 5mm trim on and the customer would be happy enough...
I'm never gonna make any money tiling like this :(

M

Matt Bott

That's a proven point because so many "tilers" are turning out work like that and are busy doing it.
Today I spent about 4hrs mitreing and polishing porcelthin, and I've probably another 12 hrs worth of the same.
Surely you make a profit or you sitting on a rather large hedge fund? Share the love :D

P

pjohn

Pity you're not closer my way, would get you to quote for our family bathroom and kitchen as we're getting those done in a year or so ... having seem some of your work, and read the level of professionalism you hold yourself to, I would hope you'd have people knocking down your door. :)

O

One Day

nope, i'm just a tiler. I earn a living and not much more.
I just enjoy what i do and strive to be better with each job. There's always room to improve.
But it does seem that the less you care, the more money you make. Generalising i know, but sometimes it seems so.

Reaction score
Well there's not really much point in me following this thread anymore.
I wasn't lucky enough to see what the paid price was. So obviously I can't back my opinion up like others have.

For all I know this is a top quality job. A perfect result, based on a bargain price of £x

We all know the obvious rules for 'prices not being discussed on the forum'.

But a customer saying 'I paid £x amount' isn't really discussing prices is it?

Q

Qwerty

@Martyn Leeds the OP was asking if it was an acceptable edge cut. Regardless of the price paid it is not an acceptable edge cut. The thread has naturally then moved on to the overal standard of finish and price paid. Prices as you know regardless of circumstances arent discusssed in the public forums. Even I haven't seen it yet (and I have access to) but I do not feel any need to see it in order to pass judgement on it. One thing I know for sure is that it is never going to be a top quality job even if it was free!

It is an unacceptable standard of cutting and the work in general appears to be of a poor standard.

M

Matt Bott

Plan tech that is very good point and I would have to agree, thing is it's down to opinion, yes to us it's unacceptable, I guess I see it like this there people that wouldn't speand any less than 300k on a car because the quality of the cars below that are not of good enough quality for them and I know people that would never speand more than £500 for a car regardless of the quality or condition. I think the problem is that costumers have to guess what car there buying regardless of the price they pay. Sometimes I feel like quoting 3 levels of quality which is ridiculous

D

Dumbo

Plan tech that is very good point and I would have to agree, thing is it's down to opinion, yes to us it's unacceptable, I guess I see it like this there people that wouldn't speand any less than 300k on a car because the quality of the cars below that are not of good enough quality for them and I know people that would never speand more than £500 for a car regardless of the quality or condition. I think the problem is that costumers have to guess what car there buying regardless of the price they pay. Sometimes I feel like quoting 3 levels of quality which is ridiculous
That is ridiculous you do what you do and that's it take it or leave it .

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Lads calm down.

We're discussing a cut tile not the end of the world.

PM the OP if you want to know the price, that's fine if they're happy with it. But it's not really going to justify the cut even if it was the whole job for 50p.

Reply to Is this an acceptable edge cut? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks