Discuss how to cut external corner in tile trim?????? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

U

ultinator

hello,

I have no idea how to make the ends marry up nicely here, I followed a video - but i think the profile is slightly different on the trim I have.
It is 6mm genesis branded rounded edge trim if that helps.
I can get 6mm quadrant pieces - but these are hard to find in stock and will have to wait a week for delivery.

I have attached some pictures of the whole situation....

I never tiled before so was just wondering if anyone can pass on some advice of how to cut this?!?

Thanks IMG_8503.JPG IMG_8502.JPG IMG_8507.JPG

U

ultinator

The top two mitres are ok just slide them so they are touching, the one that is vertical, cut that straight at the end, but cut some of the backing away so it's not double layered if that makes sense.

Hi thanks, I appreciate that.

I know what you mean about the backing,

but ive attached some more pictures to try to demonstrate where the issue is for me at the moment.
The top mitre is fine, its the addition of the vertical one that is kerfuffling me! as you can see its not flush or flat or anything................ IMG_8512.JPG IMG_8513.JPG

U

ultinator

I'd get the corner pieces. I don't like sharp corners like that sticking out.
yes I completely agree about sharp corners, thing is they will be what hold me up from finishing ! cant seem to get them till friday. It's 6mm so i think thats causing the issue as 8 and 10mm pieces are easily avaiable.

Can I do this same cut with my pieces, or is it a different profile or something ?? 102.jpg 101.jpg

W

WetSaw

If you've got plenty of spare trim have a go at a 3 way mitre but I suspect you'll get a more acceptable finish with the corner pieces.
( By the way, I'm rubbish at 3 way mitres)

L

LM

@ultinator Mark the trim where the mitre is meant to start and at 90 degrees, fold the mark right over the trim face to the other side on the top two pieces of trim, then mitre at 45 degrees into the centre of the trim from both sides of the trim starting from the same line you have marked. It's easier to fit the top two pieces first to then help you find where to mark your vertical piece and simply apply the same principle to the vertical piece, draw one line at 90 degrees right over the face of the trim and cut into the centre at 45 degrees from both sides of the trim starting at the same mark. Make sure to use a small square set off your window frame which should be plumb to align your piece of trim that is on the window revel, this will make sure the mitre joints meet correctly and also a quick touch with a file will remove any burr left from the cut and you'll finish up with a nice 3 way mitre.

F

flynny

this was just an example maybe a bad one but was trying to suggest to mitre the trim from the wall to top trim rather than mitre the top trims together just looks better, also i think that a novice at tiling would find it very difficult to do a three way mitre

S

Spare Tool

Three way mitres aren't easy, how about taking your quad trim back and swapping it for straight edged, simple to finish the corners ;)

Reply to how to cut external corner in tile trim?????? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks