Search the forum,

Discuss How should I remove adhesive from porcelain tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gusit

Hi Folks,
I have just tile a bath and sink surround with porcelain, slate effect tiles and have managed to get some of the adhesive on the front which isn't scrubbing off very easily :mad2: . Can anyone recommend what the best stuff to use is (is one of the Lithofin range the best?) and what sealer I should use when I come to do the same in a shower enclosure (to give a slightly gloss finish)?
Cheers
Angus

G

GazTech

Hi Folks,
I have just tile a bath and sink surround with porcelain, slate effect tiles and have managed to get some of the adhesive on the front which isn't scrubbing off very easily :mad2: . Can anyone recommend what the best stuff to use is (is one of the Lithofin range the best?) and what sealer I should use when I come to do the same in a shower enclosure (to give a slightly gloss finish)?
Cheers
Angus
Lithofin cement away will do the job....regards a satin finish for your tiles try Fila colour intensifier.....Gaz

G

gusit

Hi Gaz,
Nice one:thumbsup: . I was just looking at the Lithofin products - is the cement remover going to be better for what I need than the KF Cement Residue Remover?
Thanks for the advice.
Angus

D

DHTiling

KF Ceramic Clean - 1L
For the removal of light cement film, lime-scale, soap residues, grease and rust from ceramic tiles, tumbled
marble, porcelain, chromium and sanitary fittings ... not really want you need...

I would recommend the lithofin cement away as well....

Cement-Away - 1L
A very strong acid for the removal of stubborn cement residue, efflorescence and heavy builders dirt. For newly laid and older non-acid sensitive tiles such as porcelain, ceramic, quarry, terracotta, slate and sandstone tiles

G

gusit

Hi Folks,
Just finished the tiles, the place I bought the Cement Away suggested that it may be too harsh so I bought a bottle of that and of the Cement Residue remover. Residue remover was useless but the Cement Away, un-diluted, did the trick. Thanks for the help!
Cheers
Angus

W

wetdec

There are a couple of black slate look porcelain tiles on the market with a shine on them making them glisten in the light. RAK made then, creta coppied them and collinson have their own.

If you grout these without cleaning off immediately they will stain and you will be left with a cloud.

They look pretty but are ******* to fix.

I know its a bit late but might help others.

tiler

G

gusit

Thanks for the advice guys. I did pre-seal them (after sticking them up but before grouting and then worked on getting the grout off immediately. It seemed to work well and they look pretty good now but getting the adhesive off them was a ***** - luckily not one which left any staining!!

One question, is there any reason not to seal them before you stick them up or is that a bad idea (or just a pain!)?

Cheers
Angus

S

sweetpea0902

Hi, Im just after having 60x60 cream porcelain tiles laid in my kitchen and today had my new kitchen installed...problem, on cleaning up after the guys I notice that 2 or 3 tiles have stain on them and am finding it difficullt to remove. it looks like tea or coffee stain but I think its actually a residue of some substance they used. I hadnt actually got around to sealing them before kitchen installed. Any suggestions please?:huh2: Sweetpea

T

TilingLogistics

Break the surface down using AquaMix Sealing & Coating Remover then use a phos acid to remove the haze:thumbsup:

Kev

Reply to How should I remove adhesive from porcelain tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen