Currently reading:
how do you present quotes?

Search the forum,

Discuss how do you present quotes? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
i have an a4 sheet of paper which has the customers name address and phone number, time and date of when the quote is to be done, this then gose into my work folder, which gose everywhere with me when i work, on this a4 sheet i write all the measurements any prep work that needs doing, ect. when ive worked out a price i then write it out there and then on my 2 sheet carbon copy headed quote paper they get a copy and i keep a copy which is then stapled to the a4 sheet and this then becomes there job reference.

i never rush a quote and always spend plenty of time with them explaining every aspect of the job, and i try and get them booked in there and then, which at the end of the day is what its all about...:thumbsup:

however larger or more complicated jobs i will have a think about and pop back to see them, i much prefer the face to face contact..

A

Alan M

a4 seheet with company letterhead.

various boxs and lines for the following.
job no
customer info +contact info

job discription - what tile
- where
-when

cost of quote -call out

prep work -materials -bought
-have
- misilanious (amount allowed for little odds and ends)
-labour
main job - materials -bought
-have
misilanious

grouting -materials
- labour

clean up costs

business running costs -fuel
-tool replacement contribution

profit margin

vat

show materials versus labour costs (as this will show how little you are actually getting out of the job)

final quote.

if you have all that on a sheet on 2-3 you will have a good system to work the quote out with.
having the materials have section allows you to supply materials that you have. they could be left over from the last job so are probably paid for. you can allw this as a contingence or le way on the price .
take pictures of the jobs and keep a copy. also show the full amount on all quotes and show any money your knocking off . put on it how long the quote is valid for and both sign

Somerset
The best quotes to provide are the ones that will win you the job.

I provide all quotes on a headed document as a formal pricing sheet, and attach terms and conditions to the price (I want everyone to knwo my terms from the beginning). If the customer wants to DIY some of the work to save money or its a commercial quote, I also provide a full specification for the work. 95% are emailed as a PDF, a few are posted or hand delivered. Customers who just want a price get just that. Customers who dont have a clear idea or want tiles removed (especially on walls) get an estimate with guidance on costs for rectifying any faults to walls or floors being tiled.

I win roughly 50% of what I quote.

P

Peter

For a straightforward single room such as a kitchen or bathroom I will give a quote on the spot. For a full house or something complex I would take it home and work it out. I have learned to quote the hard way, as I'm sure we all have, of forgetting something or pricing something too cheaply so now I am able to quote with accuracy, particularly in material useage so I don't end up with an unnessicarily high quote for materials that aren't needed, which will win you work. Also prefer to see the tile of choice before quoting anything too tightly.

The quote system is provided the room is gutted out and ready for tiling. If there is prep, or for example, they're getting a prospective quote and bathroom is in original condition, I'll just give a general estimate of what I think it'd take, but explain that it could be more or it could be less.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

charlie1

i designed a sheet on ms excel, this breaks down in to , customer conhtact details, tiling area calculator, materials calculator. The tool has great flexability. Can apply a % discount for repeat customers, all calculations point to a central database so if certain material prices change then very easy to change my sheet. Its very easy to use if you have a laptop with windows 7. I will give you all a copy if you want. .....Anyway, i go with my laptop, a straight edge and an laser room size calculator thingy (better than a tape measure). Takes me about 15 mins to get all the details, i then have a chat with customer while showing them pics of my work on the pc. Then give them a price and politley ask for there business., All takes about 20 mins! I would say i get about 80% of jobs that i view. And this brings me on to another point!!, see the ones i loose out on, the customer most of the time has agreed the price and me to do the job then a week or 2 later change there mind so im starting taking small deposits again!!

Somerset
i designed a sheet on ms excel, this breaks down in to , customer conhtact details, tiling area calculator, materials calculator. The tool has great flexability. Can apply a % discount for repeat customers, all calculations point to a central database so if certain material prices change then very easy to change my sheet. Its very easy to use if you have a laptop with windows 7. I will give you all a copy if you want. .....Anyway, i go with my laptop, a straight edge and an laser room size calculator thingy (better than a tape measure). Takes me about 15 mins to get all the details, i then have a chat with customer while showing them pics of my work on the pc. Then give them a price and politley ask for there business., All takes about 20 mins! I would say i get about 80% of jobs that i view. And this brings me on to another point!!, see the ones i loose out on, the customer most of the time has agreed the price and me to do the job then a week or 2 later change there mind so im starting taking small deposits again!!

Interesting to hear a tiler going to estimate and price a job with a laptop - sure that impresses quite a few customers so not surprised you win 80% of jobs. I have posted elsewhere about the benefits of producing a very professional impression when pricing - its your chance to pitch a good sales patter and win jobs. I have never employed tradesmen who give a "like it or lump it" attitude - sorry to say its usually plumbers who give that impression when they turn up to price a job!

Judging by the number of "Typed on my iWot using Tapatalk" I see on messages posted here - it wont be long before tilers arrive with iPad with "MeasureandAreaCalculator" App and "QuoteBuilderPro" App that can measure, calculate quote material needs and email the quote to the customer as you talk to them.

S

Stewart

Interesting to hear a tiler going to estimate and price a job with a laptop - sure that impresses quite a few customers so not surprised you win 80% of jobs. I have posted elsewhere about the benefits of producing a very professional impression when pricing - its your chance to pitch a good sales patter and win jobs. I have never employed tradesmen who give a "like it or lump it" attitude - sorry to say its usually plumbers who give that impression when they turn up to price a job!

Judging by the number of "Typed on my iWot using Tapatalk" I see on messages posted here - it wont be long before tilers arrive with iPad with "MeasureandAreaCalculator" App and "QuoteBuilderPro" App that can measure, calculate quote material needs and email the quote to the customer as you talk to them.

I already use my iPad as a way of showing my portfolio to show pics and video's while I'm measuring up and the customer can usually see something similar to what they want.....

Created on iPhone.....

M

MTiler

I email my quotes/estimates to customers listing all the work to be done so they know whats involved.
I take with me an 'estimate sheet' with customers details, type of tile to be used, grout colour?, tile trim? tanking? etc. etc. even parking details, plus what the substrates are and what needs doing, and of course the measurements, usually with a little drawing. Thats my reference for the job which comes in handy when a customer gets back to me 6 months later lol.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
I email my quotes/estimates to customers listing all the work to be done so they know whats involved.
I take with me an 'estimate sheet' with customers details, type of tile to be used, grout colour?, tile trim? tanking? etc. etc. even parking details, plus what the substrates are and what needs doing, and of course the measurements, usually with a little drawing. Thats my reference for the job which comes in handy when a customer gets back to me 6 months later lol.

yeh, i get that.......'its mrs smith, you quoted my job 10 months ago, remember?'......errr no!!

Reply to how do you present quotes? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.