Currently reading:
Help!!!! Tiles falling off wall!

Discuss Help!!!! Tiles falling off wall! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Lily Swizzle

Hi Guys

I'm new to this forum so hope someone here has the knowledge to tell me what I'm doing wrong!

Started tiling around the bath a few days ago. All seemed to be going well till a couple of tiles fell off the wall in the middle of the night - didn't half give me a fright. I've used Unibond Tile Adhesive & Grout with anti-mould; and ceramic brick shaped tiles. House is over 100 years old and I'm tiling onto a wall with a few layers of paint on. (Did the kitchen a few years ago and had no problems at all - put adhesive onto tile rather than wall). Anyway, I've now had about 20 tiles fall off - the adhesive is on the back of the tiles and still a bit powdery..... think this could mean that it's the wall I have a problem with... should I have painted it with something? I've attached some piccies...... All help greatfully appreciated as I don't like to be defeated!! Thanks.
006.jpg Fallen tiles :thumbsdown:

005.jpg My poor wall.....

007.jpg I've still got to do behind the sink....

D

doug boardley

Thanks for your encouragement! Just stopped for a cuppa and a 'surf' for suitable reasonably priced tile adhesive....not had my tea yet as I burnt it to a cinder.... oh dear..... am getting carried away with all this DIY malarkey and all you lovely people out there helping me!
just go down to your local tile shop Lily, I wouldn't bother getting any adhesive and grout off the internet.

L

Lily Swizzle

Here's the latest update - I'm knackered. Have nearly got all the tiles off the length of the bath side - scraping the grout off as I go. Here's some pics.... will hopefully finish that wall tonight and do the other one tomorrow. Don't suppose you guys know where I can get 4 pluggy things to plug the holes in the bath where I took the bath handles off do you? Just thought I'd ask if you had any ideas....... the people in B&Q gave me a strange look when I asked - think they thought I was an idiot.....Thanks for all your support - you've all been lovely x

011.jpg
012.jpg At least the marble I got out of a skip didn't smash!!

L

Lily Swizzle

Hello, I'm back again. Have an afternoon/evening full of adhesive removal from backs of tiles planned. Have got trusty sander out to sand the walls too after I've scraped some of the paint off. Was thinking ahead and just wondered which adhesive I should go for: Mapei Buildfix Rapid Set Wall Tile Adhesive? Or Mapei Buildfix Single Part Super Flexible Adhesive? Any pros and cons of either? (apart from one is more expensive than the other...)? Am going to get the Mapei Buildfix Plaster Primer to prime the walls first after all the paint is off..... hope this is the right thing to do...... Thanks lovely peeps, it's nice to have some knowledgeable bods to speak to....

L

Lily Swizzle

The spacers I'm using aren't the usual cross shaped ones... they're like little tiny plastic tubes about 3cms long and 2mm wide - got them off my bro in law who'd had them for ages and didn't like them.....remind me of those sugar pink panther cigarette sweets they used to sell when I was a kid.....you can't eat them though..... or smoke them, but you can blow through them - don't know if that's an advantage or not... I'm rambling now - must be the tile adhesive......

L

Lily Swizzle

Do you know whitebeam, that's exactly what I've been doing for the last few hours!! Got a wirey dishwasher thing and a scrubbing brush, (can't find the wire brush - I'm sure I had one once...) and am in the kitchen sink - (tried it in the bathroom sink initially till it started to come away from the wall - that's another problem though - discovered the whole sink was stuck on with silicone stuff when I took the tiles off - no screws! It's balanced jauntily on the pedestal now till I can get long enough plugs and screws to screw it into the wall!) I've still got about 20 tiles to go..... and the ones still on the wall at the bottom of the bath! Good job I'm home tomorrow - can spend all day at it!

L

Lily Swizzle

Hello again. All the tiles are now off the wall and I've cleaned the adhesive from the backs - took ages but I'm glad it's done.
002.jpg

I've started removing the paint from the walls. Managed to get most of the blue off with a sander - then I hit some green paint which is proving a right pain to remove - doesn't seem to want to sand off so have resorted to using a wallpaper scraper and it's coming off in fingernail sized pieces. Anyone got any better ideas? At this rate I'll be at it all week!!!

003.jpg

005.jpg

Hope you're still enjoying the pictures and I'm not proving to be too much of a pest!!

L

Lily Swizzle

I've got a Black & Decker iron shaped sander with quite harsh red coloured sanding sheets with P40 on the back - don't know if this is the grade or not. They've done a great job at one end of the wall - removed 2 layers of paint to reveal the plaster underneath no problem, it's just the bits painted with 2 layers of green paint which are proving a pain. (And that's most of the wall!) So I've had more joy with a scraper for that - different coloured plastery wall underneath too.

Reply to Help!!!! Tiles falling off wall! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.