Discuss Help! Tiled wetroom floor looks perfect but grout doesn't dry out! in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Stef

Those were Caslgrande Padana Italian porcelain Stef. Nightmare to washdown the grout as the face was riven.

PS did customer supply RayBans for the last job :yikes:

Not the same but they are very similar.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427313384.636626.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427313401.138096.jpg

This is supposed to be like a Rubiks Cube.

Enough of high jacking this thread.. [emoji6]

Reaction score
Something looks wrong with the grout but it is not uncommon to get patchy looking grout especially grey even in dry areas when as mentions already too much water used to wash down or not letting the grout set long enough before washing.
Again as before, any grout will retain some moisture on a wet floor being used twice a day but it only takes the smallest on pinholes or one crack and water, and lots of it, will find a way through. As for complete and total 100% coverage no one can guarantee that as it does only take even a gap in the bed of a mm for water to travel through bit the grout is the first and best line of defence.
And for that reason all our wet floors whether on concrete or timber are grouted in epoxy by Mapei who have an excellent range of colours.
600 x 600mm tiles won't have that many joints so a regrout won't be that much of a job and it would be complete peace of mind and what I would push for.
Maybe meet halfway and offer to pay for the epoxy but the tiler will do the labour free of charge?

Reaction score
Your second detailed pic shows a typical crescent moon shape which can be formed when two different mixes are joined together, with the first having perhaps a little too much time to set. Also, the second mix can often be a different viscosity and therefore colour strength. The convex side of the shape will be the first mix.
Furthermore, as already mentioned, over working of sponging down and not allowing correct setting times before doing so can exacerbate the above ,(two different mixes situation). One mix could have been sponged down differently than the other.

I'd go to your nearest decent tile centre and ask to have a look at the kerapoxy colours. Some people think they look a little plastic'y however, I prefer the more vivid colours they give.
Beware as epoxy installation is very different from cement based grout and you need some one who knows what there doing or disaster can strike.

Else, perhaps you could just put up with the colour disparity :/

S

shunt

After 8 months you really shouldn't have water build up under the tiles especially if there is no sign of cracked grout.

Check to make sure the waste has been solvent welded together correctly to ensure no water is getting through the height adjustment rings. was the dark grout around the waste only? does it come back when you use it?
shaun.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just bumping some of the older popular (sometimes not so popular) threads. Probably wont be current discussion these days but I just need to do it. So just ignore the thread if it's not current for you.

P

Paula

Hi everyone

Thanks again for all your wonderful replies. You convinced me that what we had wasn't normal and that I should push for a solution.

I asked the builder to come and have a look at the shower after two months (!) of not using it. He brought a moisture meter and discovered that the dark patches (there were still some) were, in fact, still wet. I also pointed out the very slight cracks in some of the grout. He agreed to consult with BAL again, and then decided to scrape out all the grout in the shower tray area and flood the joints with a liquid adhesive, so that it would flow into any gaps under the tiles.

After another 2 or 3 weeks he then got his tiler to grout with Mapei epoxy (medium grey). I must say this looks fabulous: not really any different in colour or appearance to the Bal cement grout when dry, and of course stays exactly the same colour when wet. I really wish we'd had this in the first place!

We have now been using the shower for a couple of weeks without any problems: no cracking, and still looks perfect. Only time will tell whether it can stand up to the rigours of movement on a suspended timber floor (although there is not a lot of movement currently), but hopefully given that it is fine so far, this bodes well...

Of course I will keep you posted if there is any change, but hopefully this thread will be of some use to others experiencing similar problems in the future. In my opinion it really makes sense to use a fully waterproof grout like epoxy in a tiled shower tray, but of course only after making sure that the tiles have been bedded down properly in the first place.

Thanks again,

Paula

P

Paula

Just thought I'd update you with what has happened with our wetroom over the previous weeks. The epoxy grout in the wet area has stood up very well, with no obvious cracking, and always stays the same colour, whether wet or dry. We're very pleased with that. HOWEVER.....despite re-applying silicone along the base of the glass shower screen separating the wet area from the rest of the bathroom floor (which still has cement grout) so that no water could creep under, we seem to have water seepage along the grout lines on the "dry" side of the screen, so that there are now unsightly wet patches and efflorescence (presumably where water underneath is evaporating from the surface of the grout) extending to about a metre and a half beyond the shower screen. We have recently been away for a couple of weeks and when we came back the dark patches were still there, but got worse when we started to use the shower again.

I mentioned that this was happening again to the builder and he says that water can't possibly be getting in through the shower tray with the epoxy joints, so didn't see what he could do.

As before, we think that the permanently dark grout patches and efflorescence look messy, and are worried about water collecting under the tiles.

Has anyone any thoughts on what could be happening??

Thanks,

Paula

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Could it be from getting out of the shower wet to dry yourself? Or condensation perhaps.

I guess it doesn't matter too much what's causing it, the solution is going to be the same again I think. Regrout with epoxy?

P

Paula

Could it be from getting out of the shower wet to dry yourself? Or condensation perhaps.

I guess it doesn't matter too much what's causing it, the solution is going to be the same again I think. Regrout with epoxy?

Thanks, Dan, for your reply. No, where the worst patches are are well away from where we dry (in fact, they run from the glass screen to under the wall-hung basin, where nobody ever treads). And it's a big bathroom so we don't get condensation. The odd thing is that at the drying end, whereas the wet grout always used to dry out pre-epoxy, now where it gets wet it doesn't seem to dry as well, so looks permanently wet (even after 2 weeks of holiday!). The problem is definitely worse since we put epoxy in the tray: it's as if the water is escaping from the tray to an area where it can evaporate.

Surely if we epoxy the whole floor, it will just sit under the tiles? Do you think this is ok, or should we be worried about water escaping from the shower area under the tiles in the rest of the room? We really can't see how it can travel under the shower screen, but that's what it looks like!

O

Old Mod

Stab in the dark here, trouble is the two week drying period u've just had might scupper this theory a little :D
I recently witnessed a wet room floor that indeed kinda looked like it was leaking from beneath the screen.
In actual fact what it was, was capillary action on the screen itself.
It was sucking water uphill from the drain and trickling around the contours of the screen, making the dry bath area wet.
Just a theory mind :D
It could be completely bonkers too haha

T

The D

I have not read all the replies so sorry if im repeating whats been said. I have had two wet rooms with the same issue and both times it was a leak from the shower .The only way for the water to go as the walls and floor had been fully tanked was through the grout, so it was seeping through the grout from underneath the tile, not water getting in from on top.

P

Paula

I have not read all the replies so sorry if im repeating whats been said. I have had two wet rooms with the same issue and both times it was a leak from the shower .The only way for the water to go as the walls and floor had been fully tanked was through the grout, so it was seeping through the grout from underneath the tile, not water getting in from on top.

That's very interesting, deanotile! So where exactly was the water coming from in the shower? Do you mean from somewhere in the tray? And, more importantly, how did you fix it?

P

Paula

Stab in the dark here, trouble is the two week drying period u've just had might scupper this theory a little :D
I recently witnessed a wet room floor that indeed kinda looked like it was leaking from beneath the screen.
In actual fact what it was, was capillary action on the screen itself.
It was sucking water uphill from the drain and trickling around the contours of the screen, making the dry bath area wet.
Just a theory mind :D
It could be completely bonkers too haha

That's very interesting that you've had the same problem! But do you think I could be getting the same effect (ie capillary action drawing water from the drain to the shower screen) even though the grout lines from the drain are filled with epoxy (which is supposed to be impermeable to water)? Sorry if I'm being a bit dim here, but do you mean that there is water under the tiles around the drain, or just water lying on top around here?

So what, if any, was the solution in the end? I'd be very interested to hear!

Reply to Help! Tiled wetroom floor looks perfect but grout doesn't dry out! in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks