Currently reading:
Help! SLC fail - Self levelling compound failed Pro 50

Discuss Help! SLC fail - Self levelling compound failed Pro 50 in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Budha7

Hi All

I have an issue which I would like to hear your thoughts on.

I have had a floor fail on me, and need to get to the bottom of what has happened.

The floor is timber, screwed to joists and checked for deflection.
Then overlaid with 10mm backer board, screwed to floor. No primer.
UFH loose wire system laid and covered with Norcros Pro 50 leveller.
Ardex AF200 adhesive for holding Ditra mat.
Norcros Rapid flex ontop for tiles.

The tiles are all moving, and on cutting a tile out, it is the SLC which has failed.
It has big cracks in it, which are curled at the ends. Raised around 5mm on the edges.
The only way I can describe it is if you can imagine a dried out lake bed?
The room never got above 15c when i was working there, the windows were closed and the customer was on holiday, so all heating was off and no hot water was being used (warm pipes).

I have photos and will try to upload, but i am unsure how at the moment, bear with me.
Can somebody please help!!

Thanks for the great forum!

B

Budha7

IMG_0226.jpg IMG_0228.jpg

T

TJ Smiler

It could just be me not seeing your photo clearly but it looks like there is not a shread of adhesive underneath your ditra.

The SLC could have cracked if it was to dry. Others may not agree with me but i never put anything on chipboard, even the moisture board. How wide apart are the joists and were you able to screw down all the corners of all boards? or was it just screwed down every 300mm along the joists?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
floor was down nearly 3 weeks before it was turned on.
I have checked the customers stat (intelligent), as far as i can tell it hasnt been above 27c.

it is either thermal or early drying shrinkage which you would have seen before you tiled. The dry lake bed though is absolute classic symptom of over heating too early in the process. Someone isn't saying something IMO.

S

Spud

whoa. if thats the case, how the F. do I prove that?
On turn on the floor was 20c, I turned it on, as far as I am aware, i then programmed it to 24c for 3 days, then upped it to 27c. Which as far as i am aware is where it is stayed?
was it turned on prior to the thermastatic control being fitted ? it happens a lot some sparks wire it to a plug end for testing i had one try it on my job last week

Reply to Help! SLC fail - Self levelling compound failed Pro 50 in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement