Currently reading:
Gulf Stone Quartz Tile -10mm Or 12mm And Type Of Grout

Search the forum,

Discuss Gulf Stone Quartz Tile -10mm Or 12mm And Type Of Grout in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Paul Panteli

Hi,

New member on here.

Looking to get our kitchen floor changed. We want to use the Gulf Stone (Stardust) Quartz in black (600 x 600) and have spent days reading how many different version there are in the market - China, Turkey, Spain and Oman. Also there are two different thickness sizes 10mm & 12mm.

I contacted Star Tek who advise are the sole distributors for Gulf Stone tiles from Oman to the UK and they confirmed that there products are all 10mm thick. Have seen other online retailers sell the same type of tile as 12mm.

I would guess the thicker the better but we are looking to find the best quality tile and keep reading that the Gulf (Oman) are the best but yet there size are only 10mm thick - has anyone purchased these before? any issues? or thoughts on this.

Also, looking to get the strongest grout possible, as the kitchen floor will always get dirty. Read on the forum that Epoxy grout is really good? any thoughts.

Much appreciated.

Paul

P

Paul Panteli

A friend of mine will be fixing them. Been told to use the Ultimate S2 adhesive? any good for this? Going on a cement floor.

The kitchen already has quartz tiles (300 x 300) in beige - these were there when we purchased the house. They measure at 12mm - not sure where they are from though.

Why would the Gulf tiles be thinner then the rest?

On the grout, looking for something that will not absorb liquids if any spills on the floor - which was why people suggested Expoxy?

Id have no problems recommending Ultimate S2 for gulfstone, we do daily.

heres what it says on the box

gulfstone 2.JPG gulfstone 1.jpg

W

White Room

Thanks for the photos Lee. Just ordered some from you now to test and see what they are like.

Do you recommend sealing the tile before grouting? i know that the gulfstone say that they are sealed already but do you suggest doing these again?
Gulf stone are the only quartz I will fit.
I have always fitted them with an S1 addy & never ever had a problem.
The ultimate Lee talks about is one of the best adhesives on the market.
I got asked from my local tile giant to test Mapei granirapid 2 part addy & I will never use it again, horrible stuff.

Is that the one that takes ages to go off and the liquid is sbr ?

S

Stef

Reading the Gulfstone installation is recommends using Latex based adhesive, but have also heard many people install these with Ultimate S2.

When the old tiles are removed from the concrete floor, i will want the floor primed - can anyone suggest a good primer?
I phoned Weber technical years ago & they told me that their rapid spf would be fine to use on gulfstone Quartz, CTD also told me the same,
This is an s1 addy.

Use an SBR or Acrylic primer & you will be fine.

Have they removed the "Use Latex Based Adhesive " from the front of the box Lee?
I noticed you didn't photo the top of the box!!!

Hi @JulianSidney it does state that on the box, correct.

however, i believe that TM have indeed written a spec for fixing this Gulfstone to your good self, why not upload the letter to the forum so we can put this to bed.

Ulitmate is perfectly fine to use with Gulfstone.

Thanks for the photos Lee. Just ordered some from you now to test and see what they are like.

Do you recommend sealing the tile before grouting? i know that the gulfstone say that they are sealed already but do you suggest doing these again?

we've never recommended sealing these tile @Paul Panteli

J

J Sid

Hi @JulianSidney it does state that on the box, correct.

however, i believe that TM have indeed written a spec for fixing this Gulfstone to your good self, why not upload the letter to the forum so we can put this to bed.

Ulitmate is perfectly fine to use with Gulfstone.
Yes Lee
Here is the reply

Morning Julian,
Many thanks for your enquiry into fixing materials for fixing Quartz Tiles.

There are a few manufacturers that recommend fixing these tiles with a 2 part adhesive and I think that a lot of this has been driven by Mapei’s recommendations of using their 2 part system. We have a lot of experience of Gulf Stone Tiles, we know the owners of Gulf Stone UK very well and in fact we were their sole supplier of adhesive for many years. We have also been involved in many projects where these tiles have been fixed.

Our experience tells us that the issues and failures associated with this type of resin agglomerated tile are largely down to moisture being prevalent below the tile, either within the adhesive or within the substrate. Moisture can cause these tiles to mis-shape and “dish” in that the corners of the tiles can curl. We have seen that the moisture within the tile adhesive can cause this, in particular when standard setting adhesives are used, because the moisture is prevalent within the adhesive for much longer than a rapid setting adhesive.

The ways to avoid this happening are to use adhesives with a low water addition and also to use adhesives with high initial bond strengths.

Our Ultimate adhesive has a very low water addition level, approximately 1 litre per 20kg lower than our other adhesives, this relates to around 20 – 25% less water. The initial bond strengths of Ultimate are also extremely good, the bond strength is considerably higher than the other adhesives in our range. For these reasons, we recommend Ultimate adhesive as our chosen adhesive for fixing resin agglomerated tiles and guarantee the product for this use. Ultimate has been our recommended adhesive for this type of tile for several years, many projects have been completed successfully using this system.

We have a 2 part adhesive within our range but do not believe that it is necessary to use a 2 part system when we have a product such as Ultimate adhesive in our range.

Just as a final note Julian, it is important that the Quartz tiles are back buttered as well as serrating the substrate in the normal way.

I hope this information assists and answers your questions,

Yours
Glynn Griffin
Technical Support
Tilemaster Adhesives Limited
Unit 4 Tomlinson Point
Tomlinson Road
Leyland, PR25 2DY

My argument is, shouldn't we us the materials / fixing method recommend by the tile manufacturers / supplier?

P

Paul Panteli

Hi,

We removed the original Quartz tiles (300x300) yesterday and noticed that there was some remaining Bitumen on the floor - seems like it was attempted to be removed by the previous owners, but some still remaining.

Also when laying down the new 600x600 quartz tiles to see how the look, the floor seems slightly uneven in certain areas (concrete floor)

Clearly we wont lay them down until the floor is level.

Going to be using Mapei Keraquick two part to install these tiles.

Looking for some advice please.

1) Should I prime the floor first, with say Mapei Eco Prim grip, then use SLC and then prime again before laying the tiles?

2) Which SLC do you recommend?

3) Going to use Mapei Kerapoxy grout, however when reading a number of posts on this forum, a number of people have said that it can be quite hazardous to use. Is this correct.

Appreciate your hep.

S

Stef

Hi,

We removed the original Quartz tiles (300x300) yesterday and noticed that there was some remaining Bitumen on the floor - seems like it was attempted to be removed by the previous owners, but some still remaining.

Also when laying down the new 600x600 quartz tiles to see how the look, the floor seems slightly uneven in certain areas (concrete floor)

Clearly we wont lay them down until the floor is level.

Going to be using Mapei Keraquick two part to install these tiles.

Looking for some advice please.

1) Should I prime the floor first, with say Mapei Eco Prim grip, then use SLC and then prime again before laying the tiles?

2) Which SLC do you recommend?

3) Going to use Mapei Kerapoxy grout, however when reading a number of posts on this forum, a number of people have said that it can be quite hazardous to use. Is this correct.

Appreciate your hep.
Yes, Eco prim grip the floor then use Mapei Ultraplan Eco for your slc, it flows really well as it takes almost 6ltr of water to a 23kg bag.
I've always stayed clear of epoxy grout, never needed it for any jobs so haven't used it.

Reply to Gulf Stone Quartz Tile -10mm Or 12mm And Type Of Grout in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement