Search the forum,

Discuss Gulf Stone Quartz Tile -10mm Or 12mm And Type Of Grout in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

N

NigeC

We are just in the process of having our utility room and kitchen fitted with Gulfstone 600 x 600 Sapphire Blue Quartz. Our tile supplier was very thorough and contacted the rep while we were in the shop for final advice. He recommended that we seal the tiles with a product called Lithofin. This is a stain stop product and prevents oils , waters and other liquids from staining the tiles. Apparently this is necessary as these tiles are porous. It is also recommended that the tiles are re treated with Lithofin every three to five years.

We are also using a mapei silver mapeglitter in the grout and we were strongly recommended to use a Kerapoxy grout as this is waterproof and will not allow dirty water to soak in and spoil the glitter.

We are just about to move onto the Kerapoxy grouting stage and things are looking good so far. Final report by the end of the week.

I would be interested to know if anyone has found a good product for cleaning these tiles and keeping their high sheen. I know that acidic or alkaline based cleaning products are not recommended.

E

ExplodingPudding

We are just in the process of having our utility room and kitchen fitted with Gulfstone 600 x 600 Sapphire Blue Quartz. Our tile supplier was very thorough and contacted the rep while we were in the shop for final advice. He recommended that we seal the tiles with a product called Lithofin. This is a stain stop product and prevents oils , waters and other liquids from staining the tiles. Apparently this is necessary as these tiles are porous. It is also recommended that the tiles are re treated with Lithofin every three to five years.

We are also using a mapei silver mapeglitter in the grout and we were strongly recommended to use a Kerapoxy grout as this is waterproof and will not allow dirty water to soak in and spoil the glitter.

We are just about to move onto the Kerapoxy grouting stage and things are looking good so far. Final report by the end of the week.

I would be interested to know if anyone has found a good product for cleaning these tiles and keeping their high sheen. I know that acidic or alkaline based cleaning products are not recommended.

I've not heard of it being mandatory to seal but that's good to know! Generally anything is okay as long as it is PH Neutral as you already addressed. I would say seal the grout in however as glitter in the grout can work it's way out and scratch the surface over time if not careful. Looking forward to some pics!

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I would be interested to know if anyone has found a good product for cleaning these tiles and keeping their high sheen. I know that acidic or alkaline based cleaning products are not recommended.[/QUOTE]

Key to impregnating these tiles is to buff fully dry after the saturation time, problems I get with these are smearing or excess as a slight wet surface is left to dry naturally on the application.

Your daily cleaner for stain stop and for these tiles would be Easy Care,

S

Stef

I wouldn't seal Quartz & never have.
How does stain stop work with Quartz Bob?
Is the tile porous enough for the sealer to soak into the tile instead of sitting on the surface?

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi stef, generally solvent impregnators are used, , it can all depend on the quality of the resin binder and porosity in the agragate in most cases, some will take a bleed from a cement based grout on the cut edges and will require a seal prior to grouting. I have had more cases of blead to the edges or moisture migration and discolouration. ( not me, problem calls of trying to clean this out coming onto our tech line) don't get so many these days

In most cases the impregnator will leave a thin film of protection in the cappillaries , on others it can re activate slightly into the resin and re harden once cured. So when we apply an impregnator it is most important to remove excess fully, buff these fully dry or they can lead to smearing or discolouration

Some will not require sealing , but some do , always worth checking with supplier or testing

Reply to Gulf Stone Quartz Tile -10mm Or 12mm And Type Of Grout in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen