Search the forum,

Discuss Grouting tips in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

If you have never tried to grout a floor or wall before, then this list of grouting tips will come in handy for you. So for all those of you that are inexperienced with grouting, have a good look at this list before you start. Maybe it would even be worth printing out and having around!

Mix grout with cold water

It is essential that you always use fresh cold water instead of warm or hot water. High temperatures act as a catalyst to most reactions, including the process of grout setting. Therefore, using hot water can leave you with a bucket of grout that you won't have time to use because it'll be rock solid! The moral of the story, always always use cold water.

Keep grout away from heat

Heat acts as a catalyst for grout, making it set faster. It's easy to forget, but you must remember to not keep your grout mix close to any source of heat. Avoid radiators, cookers and even direct sunlight - these can all make your grout set much faster than usual. And less wasted grout means more money in your back pocket!

Always smooth grout at 45°

Smoothing the grout is a 2-stage process. First off all you have to remove the excess grout that is left on the top of the tiles. Then you can start to smooth out the joints. Wiping along the joints lifts the grout and and generally makes a right old mess. For the smoothest joints, wipe at 45° and then wipe along the joints very lightly.

Tips for afterwards

It isn't very uncommon for a tiler to finish up with a half bucket of extra grout that isn't needed, so what do you do? Don't throw it down the drain! Throwing grout down the drain causes big problems once the grout sets, blocking the drain and giving you some serious headaches!..:mad2:
----
:grin: .......

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Grouting tips in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, A newcomer here and thank you to anyone with the patience to read my drivel. I am...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen