Discuss grouting metal listello trims in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

Frenchdc

I am going to tile my shower area with 600 x 300 tiles and put metal (bright chrome) listello between them. I was wondering about the grouting, and if it might scratch the face. Also as it is going to be in the shower area will the metal tarnish? Any advice greatly appreciated

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Some chrome trim have a clear protective wrapper that peels off after grouting. I am assuming yours doesn't. Make sure you use a fine grout. I personally use Ardex FS grout (comes in about 32 different colours available from CTD (aka Tile Depot). However, test your grout on a small piece of off cut trim before you commence grouting. Make sure it's wall grout (as this contains much finer sand). Floor grout contains thicker sand and will deffo scratch your chrome.

Don't let the grout sit on the trim any longer than it has to. i.e. wipe off any excess with a damp microfibre cloth and buff up with a dry one.

Realistically, the chances are you will not damage your trim as long as you don't wipe acid on it!

F

Frenchdc

Some chrome trim have a clear protective wrapper that peels off after grouting. I am assuming yours doesn't. Make sure you use a fine grout. I personally use Ardex FS grout (comes in about 32 different colours available from CTD (aka Tile Depot). However, test your grout on a small piece of off cut trim before you commence grouting. Make sure it's wall grout (as this contains much finer sand). Floor grout contains thicker sand and will deffo scratch your chrome.

Don't let the grout sit on the trim any longer than it has to. i.e. wipe off any excess with a damp microfibre cloth and buff up with a dry one.

Realistically, the chances are you will not damage your trim as long as you don't wipe acid on it!
I have bought some Larsen Colour Fast 360 Flexible Wall & Floor Grout, is that any good?

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Last time I used Larsen it was very heavy sanded, but that was a few Yeats ago, they may of changed it

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I have bought some Larsen Colour Fast 360 Flexible Wall & Floor Grout, is that any good?
Never used Larsen but 'Wall & Floor' might be a clue!

Wall grout is normally smooth.
Floor grout is normally very sandy.

I personally stick to wall grout for walls because floor grout is:
1. Sandy (coarse).
2. Because of the sand it is normally a heavier grout and most of it ends up on the floor!

Someone will come back with a definitive answer to your Larsen grout.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I just put some masking tape over any metal trim that does not have a protective cover on and remove it after the first wash-off

T

ToolGuy

I've had problems removing the plastic film after grouting, some ended up stuck behind grout. Found it better to remove before grouting if the grout is fine.

Reply to grouting metal listello trims in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks