Search the forum,

Discuss Grout coming out and crackling noise under some tiles in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Havent read through the entjre thread but was curious...If the builder used lafarge anhydrite screed why has an investigation been started by cemex?

Problem sounds relatively straight forward... screed not dry and no moisture test done 3 weeks is not long enough for drying a screed properly. Im guessing prep was not done correctly either.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
We've had it me this year on a massive new build. Laid in February and took until September to fully dry, with the heat in for a month.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
They're a complete pain in the arse. I've never had a failure myself but have re-done a few where the people before didn't know what to do and so there often were failures. Its always the same things too, too much moisture/laitance not removed/removed wrong time/inadequate priming/etc/etc and they're still not always flat. What's wrong with a sand & cement screed, you know where you are with one of those and if you want it flat, lay it flat. It's interesting that the regular firms I use such as Mapei/BAL/Weber here don't sell a gypsum adhesive. Do they know more than me? Well probably but I'm not going to tile onto anhydrite again. Too many variables. If they want to tile onto anhydrite they can get some other idiot to do it, I don't need it.
Interesting that both Weber and mapei have gypsum based adhesives in mainland Europe though where there's quite a lot ,more anhydrite used. In the UK it is still increasing at a huge rate with this year acheiving something like 3million square meters plus.with increased penetration into all market sectors. A huge proportion of this is tiles without any issues whatsoever. There are many issues with sand cement screed. People dont generally choose their screed based on the fact that numpty tilers dont do the job properly. There are a good many good competent tiles who tile anhydrite screed almost daily and do not have issues. Stop blaming the screed and start looking more closely at what you are doing...

R

Rookery

I know perfectly well what I'm doing than you very much. And working on a gypsum floor isn't going to be one of them.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I know perfectly well what I'm doing than you very much. And working on a gypsum floor isn't going to be one of them.
Which is of course your prerogative and your choice. However that is not because anhydrite screeds are bad or tricky or "a complete pain in the wotsit". If they were that bad or that tricky they would not be so incredibly successful and widely used. There are so many really tangible advantages to using gypsum as a screed binder when compared to cement screed in many cases it is a no brainer. What made me laugh most of all was the fact you said you have never had an issue with one yourself and you have been perfectly happy to sort out other tillers **** ups on them... your comments are in conflict with themselves...

Reply to Grout coming out and crackling noise under some tiles in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen