Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Grout coming out and crackling noise under some tiles in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Sachin Parab

Removing laitence from the floor is not just a case of a quick skim over or using a scrapper.
What method did he use and what equipment?
This year I ripped out and refixed an anhydride floor, which I know 100% was sanded by the contractor.
The reason I know is the client made a point of asking what they were doing.
The Builder then continued to install the floor with his Tiler.
9 months later it failed, on inspection, laitence was still present, it failed.
So we had to start from scratch, including re sanding of the floor.

The moisture reading using the hygrometer, how long were they left in place before readings taken?

I think a hand held sander was used. Is there a specific equipment he should have used.

The hygrometer readings were taken in 72 hours.

How do we check if laitance has been completely removed.

Thanks

O

Old Mod

You really do need to remove a tile to see what’s beneath.
The cracking sound is where the tile has de bonded from the floor.
It’s important now to determine what has de bonded. The tile from adhesive, or adhesive from floor.
That will narrow down your search for an answer.
The floor need sanding back to expose the aggregates to be 100% sure it’s been removed.
First two images have laitence still remaining on the failed floor, bearing in mind some has already been removed and some was stuck to the tile.
476173A9-B73F-4452-888D-F83A2603C742.jpeg EA4B25A1-E244-4A69-9EF0-BDEE3FB6E257.jpeg 6FDF23EA-2CC3-4BE7-A385-940340FFC425.jpeg 8195F181-CA63-4BBC-9245-A89BDFA1D1F8.jpeg

Enlarging the last image you can see the dark spots, that is the aggregates.
Can be done with a hand grinder but that’s quite an area for a small machine.
More typically a floor sander would be used.
(They look like an industrial cleaners buffing machine) but you would fit abrasive discs instead, around 60# grit.
And you need dust extraction.
You can see the quantity produced.
And priming is critical when using a cementitious adhesive on an anhydride floor.
2 coats is not necessarily enough.
And they should be applied perpendicular to each other.

6D59FC52-6B2C-46B2-8F21-D3291EB4AEA1.jpeg

S

Sachin Parab

You really do need to remove a tile to see what’s beneath.
The cracking sound is where the tile has de bonded from the floor.
It’s important now to determine what has de bonded. The tile from adhesive, or adhesive from floor.
That will narrow down your search for an answer.
The floor need sanding back to expose the aggregates to be 100% sure it’s been removed.
First two images have laitence still remaining on the failed floor, bearing in mind some has already been removed and some was stuck to the tile.
View attachment 94599 View attachment 94600 View attachment 94601 View attachment 94602

Enlarging the last image you can see the dark spots, that is the aggregates.
Can be done with a hand grinder but that’s quite an area for a small machine.
More typically a floor sander would be used.
(They look like an industrial cleaners buffing machine) but you would fit abrasive discs instead, around 60# grit.
And you need dust extraction.
You can see the quantity produced.
And priming is critical when using a cementitious adhesive on an anhydride floor.
2 coats is not necessarily enough.
And they should be applied perpendicular to each other.

View attachment 94603

Thanks a lot for this. I will speak to the builder accordingly.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
He claims to have done these before and used the same screed and it has worked well
Maybe he hasn't done a floor this big before.
Tiling a large floor has more complications. The main one on underfloor heating is expansion. If there are large areas with form of expansion, like doorways and large single rooms the floor will move and the tiles won't. This can debond the tiles.
As said above the screed should be dry, then it should be abraded to remove the latience. Then vacuumed and primed. 2 coats is a general rule, but it should be primed until it stops soaking in.
Then a flexible adhesive suitable for the screed in question. With good priming, a cement based adhesive can be used. But far better to use an gypsum based adhesive, as that's what the floor is.depending on the size of the are a decoupling membrane should be used. Expansion strips should be installed to help large rooms and in doorways, as different rooms expand at different rates. Tiles should then be fixed with a notched trowel and tiles back buttered.

Not knowing the sizes of the room,I would guess this is an expansion related problem. I would bet your going to remove a tile and agin find the adhesive is stuck to the tile and not the floor.

To sort this, it needs two things.
1. Fitting as above with close attention to movement joints and uncoupling.
2. Get a tiler with experience of large gypsum based floors.

F

Flintstone

You have said that a couple of times in different threads. Have you had a bad experience your self with anhydrite floors? If you do what your supposed to do and prepare them correctly, they are a dream to tile due to there flatness.

R

Rookery

They're a complete pain in the arse. I've never had a failure myself but have re-done a few where the people before didn't know what to do and so there often were failures. Its always the same things too, too much moisture/laitance not removed/removed wrong time/inadequate priming/etc/etc and they're still not always flat. What's wrong with a sand & cement screed, you know where you are with one of those and if you want it flat, lay it flat. It's interesting that the regular firms I use such as Mapei/BAL/Weber here don't sell a gypsum adhesive. Do they know more than me? Well probably but I'm not going to tile onto anhydrite again. Too many variables. If they want to tile onto anhydrite they can get some other idiot to do it, I don't need it.

B

Blunt Tool

They're a complete pain in the arse. I've never had a failure myself but have re-done a few where the people before didn't know what to do and so there often were failures. Its always the same things too, too much moisture/laitance not removed/removed wrong time/inadequate priming/etc/etc and they're still not always flat. What's wrong with a sand & cement screed, you know where you are with one of those and if you want it flat, lay it flat. It's interesting that the regular firms I use such as Mapei/BAL/Weber here don't sell a gypsum adhesive. Do they know more than me? Well probably but I'm not going to tile onto anhydrite again. Too many variables. If they want to tile onto anhydrite they can get some other idiot to do it, I don't need it.
You really don’t like it do you

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Havent read through the entjre thread but was curious...If the builder used lafarge anhydrite screed why has an investigation been started by cemex?

Problem sounds relatively straight forward... screed not dry and no moisture test done 3 weeks is not long enough for drying a screed properly. Im guessing prep was not done correctly either.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
We've had it me this year on a massive new build. Laid in February and took until September to fully dry, with the heat in for a month.

Reply to Grout coming out and crackling noise under some tiles in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks