Discuss grout choice in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

robvr6

Hi all,

Were about to have our kitchen retiled and we are trying to find some light grey grout but everyehere just seems to sell the ready mixed stuff in grey. We had white before which was a big mistake that we learn't the hard way. We are going with dark grey tiles and what we are worried about is that if the grout is too dark it wont show up in between and the floor will just look all the same colour with no separation. We tried the ready mix choices at BQ but they just seem to have grey which looks quite dark. On the displays which shows tiles the grout looks quite light grey but when we asked what was used we were told that they don't know because they were done by their installation team.

It would be great if anyone could either reccomend some light grey grout or post some photos of the colour the grout has dried if they have just used grey and let us know which grout it was.

Thanks in advance
Rob

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Morning Rob, welcome to TF

If you follow this link you will see the Mapei range of colours.

Mapei Grout Colour Chart | Lilley Tile and Stone

No's 110 to 113 give you various shades of grey, one should suit.

Ring round you local tile shops to see who stocks it, forget the likes of B&Q.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As John says I'd avoid the likes of b and q! Although they wouldn't be my first choice tops tiles stock bal grout and have samples of each colour. Likewise tile giant stock mapei grout and have the same. Personally I try and use local Independent companies when I can. Does your tiler not have samples available?

R

robvr6

Morning Rob, welcome to TF

If you follow this link you will see the Mapei range of colours.

Mapei Grout Colour Chart | Lilley Tile and Stone

No's 110 to 113 give you various shades of grey, one should suit.

Ring round you local tile shops to see who stocks it, forget the likes of B&Q.

Thanks John they look ideal espescially because they come ready mixed the reason I'm looking for ready mixed is because the guy who is tiling it for us gave up due to health reasons so I will be doing all the lifting and donkey work so it would mean I would have to mix the grout so Im just worried that I would end up having to mix a second lot or something and it turns out the wrong shade or something. I work in web design which is a far cry from tiling lol and at he's doing the job for nothing so I'm just trying to make everything as easy as I can for him but that link looks perfect and if I cant find it in any tile stockists you can buy online from them. The only stockist I really know is Topps but I'll have a good look round for some others today in the Manchester area where I could pick some up - thanks again.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks John they look ideal espescially because they come ready mixed the reason I'm looking for ready mixed is because the guy who is tiling it for us gave up due to health reasons so I will be doing all the lifting and donkey work so it would mean I would have to mix the grout so Im just worried that I would end up having to mix a second lot or something and it turns out the wrong shade or something. I work in web design which is a far cry from tiling lol and at he's doing the job for nothing so I'm just trying to make everything as easy as I can for him but that link looks perfect and if I cant find it in any tile stockists you can buy online from them. The only stockist I really know is Topps but I'll have a good look round for some others today in the Manchester area where I could pick some up - thanks again.

They don't come ready mixed Rob, They are powder form and need water adding. Follow directions on pack to get a consistent colour and finish.

Tiles UK now stock Mapei in Manchester, map on link below

Manchester

T

True Tiling

I've used Ardex Flex FL (light grey - now called Stormy Mist) grout for floors for over 7 years now. This a very resilient sandy grout. I've used Mapei grouts also, but these are better for more of a smooth finish if that is what you wish. For white wall grout that lasts, I would use BAL Microflex Microban. I used this 4 years ago on my own bathroom. I've yet to see any discolouration of it.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Before you use any cementicious grout what are the tiles that are being fixed. You don't want to be scratching a glossy or glass finish.

Reply to grout choice in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks