Discuss Fun project coming up - bit of advise needed in the Tile Tools | any Country any make any model area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Tile Shop

I have a colleague at work who knows that I want to leave my desk job to pursue tiling. So he has allowed me to use him as a guinea pig this weekend. My payment....... Chinese and an unlimited supply of coffee and bacon butties.

I will be doing his bathroom floor. but the shape of it is.....well....... lets just say I've never come across a room this shape before. the angles are just odd and I think the builder of the house must have been on strong amphetamines. Diagram below. Tiles are 500x330 porcelain

I have ordered one of the Rubi Angle finders (smaller version of the Tiletrade T5) to help me out.

The floor is sand:cement screed which I'm going to give a quick once over with diluted APD. but its perfectly flat. Been having a play around with square notch and round notch trowels recently, looking at coverage. But I have also ordered a tiger trowel try.

So can anyone advise on the difference in area coverage between using the tiger trowel and say a 10x10 square, and also if the rubi angle finder really is that simple for measuring awkward cuts?

If anyone can also advise the best way to mark around pedestals and toilets, i'd be grateful.

Thanks

petes bathroom.jpg

T

Tile Shop

Only correct way is to have the sanitary units taken out!

agreed. but neither of us are plumbers. And he can't afford one at the moment. I realise it may be straight forward for some tilers to do, but I don't have the confidence to attempt it as there will also be a 12-13mm height difference to what it is now. The bog and basin are down to the concrete and the the current yukky carpet has been cut round.....(hmmmm. maybe use the carpet as a template???) Besides, it will be good cutting practice for me.

Failing that, either dry lay your floor around it or wait until you've tiles around the outside, then template it with cardboard, Corex or a heavy lining paper.

Sweet. I have a recycling bin full of large Dominoes boxes I could use :)

T

Tile Shop

You can also help yourself out a fair bit by having at least one joint on one axis, two if you're very lucky, that pass through the centre.

good point. You can't see it on my cad drawing, but that how it falls around the basin. But shifting it across to do the same with the loo, would leave a very small slither cut to the wall which I want to avoid.

He's also going for Mapei 113 grout. I know its personal preference but you guys has seen it more often than me. Matching grey silicone around the walls and sanitary or stick to white to match the sanitary, bath panel and skirting?

And any thoughts on the angle finder and the tiger trowel?

S

Spare Tool

good point. You can't see it on my cad drawing, but that how it falls around the basin. But shifting it across to do the same with the loo, would leave a very small slither cut to the wall which I want to avoid.

He's also going for Mapei 113 grout. I know its personal preference but you guys has seen it more often than me. Matching grey silicone around the walls and sanitary or stick to white to match the sanitary, bath panel and skirting?

I've had an angle finder in the back of my van for years and never used it, steel ruler off the two corners of the last full tile, then two marks on your tile to be cut works fine..
Never tried a tiger trowel so can't comment on them, long as it trowels the adhesive that's the main thing..
Matching silicone round the room and bases of sanitryware looks better imo

S

Stef

The very last option would be to cut round the sani ware.
By the time you monkey about trying to get it to look good the floor would have been tiled.
Colour match the silicone as it should disguise the cut where as white will stand it out more most probably..

I

Italy

Tiger trowel is your last problem. ;)

I

Italy

the risk, the risk is my life.
who does not risk, no scrapes. (Said Italian, chi non rischia , non raschia)

Reply to Fun project coming up - bit of advise needed in the Tile Tools | any Country any make any model area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks