Search the forum,

Discuss first time commercial work how much to charge? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Trevor Harmer

Hi Guys'
I am currently working for a developer in the north west and I have done 4 days laying floors and tiling a kitchen approx 12m2 and floor 10m2 what would be considered a reasonable daily rate (Its a 60ml round trip)
I would be greatfull for your feedback I have joined a BNI group and got this as a recommendation referral I am also finishing of some work by another tiler grouting and sealing in a bathroom hope this helps.
Regards
Trevor.

W

White Room

Hi Trevor, Have posted on the BNI any chance giving me some idea what happened and how much it cost. Site work will be a bit cheaper that domestic and your area will differ to the south east. Hopefully some guys in area will reply.

T

Trevor Harmer

Hi Whitey
I have just set up my business and got an invite to a local B.N.I (Business Network international) breakfast meeting. All the local business people from solicitors financial advisor's plumbers electricians, I could go on. suffice it to say it was worth going as I got a referral from a developer that was at the meeting.
For those like myself have not herd of this BNI I would recommend joining as you have all these people doing all your sales for you and you for them the cost however is £500 per year plus £35 per month this has already paid for its self from this on referral!
However I have also found a local networking group in the next village on the same format early breakfast 1 min presentation about each other and then pass on referrals which is why we are all there, the cost for this group is a lot less than the BNI only £75 to join not per year plus £40 per month.
highly recommend these groups
PS the advantage among other things is they allow only one representation from each trade so chose one that hasn't got a tiler you get all the referrals!!
hope this helps
Trevor.

P

pjtiler

Hi Guys'
I am currently working for a developer in the north west and I have done 4 days laying floors and tiling a kitchen approx 12m2 and floor 10m2 what would be considered a reasonable daily rate (Its a 60ml round trip)
I would be greatfull for your feedback I have joined a BNI group and got this as a recommendation referral I am also finishing of some work by another tiler grouting and sealing in a bathroom hope this helps.
Regards
Trevor.

you want at least £150 a day (day work )
or minimum £20 pre m2
remember they,ll take 20% tax (spit spit )

W

White Room

On a day rate there's not much difference but in london the prices will increase. The parking, Permits and charges are pain in the neck.

P

pjtiler

On a day rate there's not much difference but in london the prices will increase. The parking, Permits and charges are pain in the neck.
aye your right there
i dump the gear on site then park at brent and use the tube

G

Gazzer

you want at least £150 a day (day work )
or minimum £20 pre m2
remember they,ll take 20% tax (spit spit )

So you are doing 5.5m2 per day @ £20 = £110 less 20% = £88 less fuel (never known a building contractor pay ) £10 ish = £78.

We are back to the same post we had a while back about money and how much to expect a day....look at it from the other side... the contractors side. If he is paying you £150 a day and all you can tile is 5.5m2 but another a more experienced tiler could do 20m2....who do you think they will pay?

Never mind though, you have the job and thats great but why have you not discussed rates before the start of the contract?

If you search these forums you will find quite a few cases of where contractors have gone back on promises of money.....YOU NEED IT IN WRITING.
Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
M

medlar

So you are doing 5.5m2 per day @ £20 = £110 less 20% = £88 less fuel (never known a building contractor pay ) £10 ish = £78.

We are back to the same post we had a while back about money and how much to expect a day....look at it from the other side... the contractors side. If he is paying you £150 a day and all you can tile is 5.5m2 but another a more experienced tiler could do 20m2....who do you think they will pay?

Never mind though, you have the job and thats great but why have you not discussed rates before the start of the contract?

If you search these forums you will find quite a few cases of where contractors have gone back on promises of money.....YOU NEED IT IN WRITING.
Good luck

I would agree 100% that he needs it in writing,i done 3 bathrooms(walls and floors) 3 en suites (walls and floors) and 3 kitchens (splashbacks) for a contractor,dont know if i am allowed to metion there company name on here,anyway,we had agreed a price per m2,worked for 9 days for them,the off shot was,i got half of the pre arranged price,as i had nothing in WRITING,i had no claim against them,Suffice to say,now if i work for a contractor i get it in writing,or i walk away from the job,once bitten twice shy

Reply to first time commercial work how much to charge? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I'm searching for 42 pieces of 12" x 12" Verde Alpi marble tiles. Preferably honed. 12" x 24"...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen